Campus Cutie: Sarah Kiely

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Name: Sarah Kiely

Birthday: April 11

Age: 21

Zodiac Sign: Aries

Year: Junior

Major: Communications with a concentration in Public Relations

Hometown: Rockaway, NJ

HCM: You just transferred to Montclair State this fall, what is it like here so far? 

SK: It’s different since I live here and the classes are also different from where I transferred from. There is more in-depth book work, whereas we’d work on projects in groups [at CCM].

HCM: Why did you decide to go to Montclair State?

SK: It’s a good school and is close to home. It also is close to New York City, where the fashion industry is.

HCM: What is a quote or motto that you live by?

SK: I really like the saying “Do something that you love and you’ll have to work a day in your life”. 

HCM: Why did you pick the Major that you did?

SK: I wanted to do something that would incorporate the Associates I got in Fashion and go into the writing aspect of it, such as press releases or working with a magazine.

HCM: Since you love fashion, what is a fashion item that is your go to? You HAVE to have it in your closet.

SK: If it’s winter, I love my knee-high boots, but I also love a really nice sweater. 

HCM: Do you have any fashion pet peeves?

SK: I’m not a huge fan of mixing textures. I like the idea to a point, but sometimes people get out of control.

HCM: If you were stranded on a desert island, what is the one item you would have to bring with you?

SK: The first thing that comes to my mind is mascara *laughs*, but I would need to have my fuzzy blanket. 

HCM: Would you say that mascara is the makeup item you can’t leave the house without?

SK: Yes! That is my one thing. 

HCM: Where do you work?

SK: I work at Lord and Taylor as a beauty adviser and fashion-make-up artist. The counter I work for is Lauren Mercier. 

HCM: There have been a lot of campaigns recently, such as Power of Make-Up campaign, that are all about women being able to do whatever they please with their make-up. What would you say in regard to those that judge women for wearing “too much” make-up—making jokes such as ‘this is why you take a girl to the swimming pool on a first date’.

SK: I would point out that you want a girl to look natural, yet you don’t want a girl that looks like she has just rolled out of bed—people will wear make-up to achieve that “natural look”.  [They] kind of contradict each other. I would also say to them that they make water proof everything now, so the joke is on you! *laughs*

Junior at Montclair State University who plans on majoring in English. Known for being stressed, well dressed, and boyband obsessed.