Campus Celebrity: Gianna Mazzone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Collegiettes, meet this week’s Campus Celebrity: Gianna Mazzone! Gianna, who began writing for Her Campus Montclair this past fall, is 18-years-old and from South Jersey. She is a freshman studying Communication and Media Arts at the School of Communication and Media. She is also working towards the completion of the Child Advocacy and Policy Certificate Program at the School of Humanities and Social Sciences.

Gianna plans to work with the reform of Social Services as a Child Advocate upon the receival of both her degree and certificate in 2018 and, with the help of her background in Communication and Media Arts, she also plans to enlighten the public on her work-related topics.  

Aside from leading a busy academic life, Gianna is also heavily-involved with pageantry. Talk about brains and beauty! Originally, she began doing pageants at the age of 12 because she wanted a hobby. However, she fell in love and continued doing it. Soon after, she became eligible to participate in the Miss America’s Outstanding Teen Organization and later, when she became of legal age, she was able to participate in the Miss America Organization through the Miss New Jersey Education Foundation. She has won awards before in her pageant career and is currently working to achieve the bronze Duke of Edinburgh’s Award.

When asked how the pageant life has shaped her as a person, she replied: “This organization has given me countless opportunities and life skills – ones that I am grateful to cherish and have for the rest of my life. Through it, I’ve received scholarship opportunities, community service opportunities, interviewing skills and sisterhood!” Though those are only a few of the many benefits that come with being a pageant girl in the Miss America Organization, they are the reasons why she continues to participate in pageant life today.

So, what other interests and talents does this week’s Campus Celebrity have? Well, for starters, she sings! “Singing is a huge passion of mine”, she says, “and I’ve actually been working at a music studio, so I’m excited to release some of my new music this year!” Gianna also has a passion for all-things makeup and plans to do makeup on the side while in college. In pursuit of this, she is working towards the completion of a Makeup Artistry Certificate Program. This certification will put her backstage at the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week.

Wow – this girl does it all! If you haven’t already, HCM hopes you have the pleasure of meeting our determined, educated, talented and fun writer, Gianna Mazzone, sometime during the spring semester!

Photo Credit: Gianna Mazzone

Imani is a full-time junior student attending Montclair State University where she majors in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing. She is happy to be the Assistant Editor-in-Chief of the Her Campus Montclair chapter!