Campus Celebrity: Carly Huxford

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Name: Carly Huxford

Age: 19

Major/Minor: Fashion Studies, double minor in Business and Public and Professional Writing

Year: 2018

Hometown: Scotch Plains, NJ

HCM: Why did you choose to attend Montclair State?

CH: I chose to attend Montclair State because the fashion program is rated highly here and the campus isn’t too big or too small. 

HCM: In what ways are you involved on campus?

CH: I am a Teacher Assistant (TA) in the Leadership of Communication and Fashion Meaning for the Fashion Department. I also work for the Office of Information Technology as a Lab Assistant. 

HCM: How long have you been a Teacher Assistant and a member of the Office of Information Technology?

CH: This is my first semester as a TA for Montclair State. I have worked for IT for over a year now. Both are great experiences and I something new learn every day!

HCM: Why did you choose to become a Fashion Studies major?

CH: I chose to major in Fashion Studies because I have an eye for fashion and I want a career in the fashion industry after I graduate. 

HCM: What is your favorite thing about the major?

CH: My favorite thing about my major is how creative and how “think outside the box” you have to be. Fashion is always changing, so you have to be able to change with it.

HCM: Do you have a favorite class that you’ve taken?

CH: My favorite class that I have taken so far was my Culture and Appearance class. This is now the class I TA for. It is the foundation course for the Fashion Department. It was interesting to learn other people’s culture and how dress affects them in their culture.

HCM: What has been your favorite part about college so far?

CH: My favorite part about college is how it has shaped me into who I’ve become. Looking back on where I was to where I am now has made me realize how much I have changed since last year, and for the better. I have learned more about myself than ever before. 

Speed round!

Favorite song? Hello by Adele. 

Words you live by? “The Universe sends us exactly what we are ready for at the exact time we need it in our lives.”

Favorite movie? Something Borrowed.

Favorite book? If I Stay by Gayle Forman.

Favorite food? French Fries.

Three countries you would visit? Argentina, Italy, & India.

Celebrity crush? Michael Weatherly. 

Favorite season? Fall.

Pet Peeve? When people crack their knuckles. 

Fun Fact? I have never been on an airplane but I have left the country!

HCM: What would be your dream career?

CH: My dream career is to be a buyer for a bridal company in New York City. 

HCM: That sounds like it would be a dream! What motivates you?

CH: I have always been motivated by the desire to meet a deadline. Setting and reaching deadlines gives me a sense of accomplishment. 

HCM: What is one thing you wish people knew about you?

CH: One thing I wish people knew about me is how driven I am to succeed. I put all of my effort into my projects. 

HCM: Okay, time switch things up, you’re having a dinner party and can only have five people come: who do you want there?

CH: Kendall Jenner, Cara Delevingne, Kate Spade, Michael Kors, and Blake Lively

HCM: That sounds like one killer party! To wrap things up, what’s one piece of advice you have for our Montclair collegiette’s, especially our freshman starting college this year?

CH: Take everything in. Experience new things. That’s how you learn and realize who you want to become as a person.  

Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.