This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Fashion is one of those things you experiment with, you dibble and dabble in different styles to see what works for you. Certain styles aren’t meant to be combined with others, or at least that’s what people say. Why not break the style boundaries by combining styles and bringing fashion from other countries to your area? Fashion is an experiment so why not test your hypothesis? Here are some tips to help you find little ways to beat the expectations and let your creativity shine through the style you recreated.

Style has no gender

Most of us have heard the statement, “That outfit is too girly” or “ That outfit is too boyish.” Certain articles of clothing or outfits, in general, are categorized by gender too often. So often to the point that other genders feel restricted from combining them into their wardrobe.

Just because a jacket was found in the men’s section doesn’t mean a woman can’t wear it and vise versa. If a scarf adds a little pizzazz to a guy’s outfit, who’s to tell him he can’t wear it? There are too many cases where our personalities can’t shine through our styles because we feel restricted by gender.

Drop the judgment and ignore the restrictions. Pick articles of clothing from which section you feel looks good. Then make a bomb a** outfit that showcases your style and personality.

Comfy can be cute

A good outfit has to be uncomfortable, said no one ever. Just because you have somewhere to go doesn’t mean you can’t wear comfy articles of clothing. Combine dressy with comfy to create an ideal style combo.

You can take a regular pair of joggers and throw on some stylish sneakers with a fur hoodie and have a whole look. Hook up a biker short set with a denim jacket and some booties. Put on an oversized button-up with some strappy heels and a cute fanny pack. The possibilities are endless when it comes to comfy and cute.

Make the outfit work for you, you’re the one wearing it.

Be your own style inspiration

We all get our outfit inspiration from multiple style gurus, celebrities, blogs, etc.; but it’s all outfit inspiration, not our style. Your style can’t be copied because it’s what you create from a combination of different sources. Even though you take outfit inspiration from others you can still be your own style inspiration.

If you like something from one outfit, you can combine it with something else you like from a different outfit. The beauty of fashion is there are no limits. Combine these style tactics with your taste/preference and create your personalized style, something others will use to create their own style inspiration.

We limit ourselves when we allow societal standards to restrict our styles from showcasing our personalities through clothing. Be one of many to break style boundaries and create your own sense of style. You’re the one wearing the outfits, so you call the shots. Fashion is an open book waiting for you to write the next page. 

Lynese Salmon is a Senior majoring in Communications and Media Arts. Hoping to pursue a career in social media strategics and/or to land an editorial/writing position for an online publication. Her list of hobbies are endless since she takes interest in so many things. Lynese adores the arts, whether it's visual, performing, digital, etc. She is an outgoing individual with a willingness to learn. Lynese believes the possibilities are endless for everyone so why should you limit yourself. Loves to meet new people and learn more about different identities. Lynese is an open book so she's pretty approachable. All in all, Lynese is a creative personality that likes to think outside the box.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.