Behind the Scenes of Being a ‘Friendsgiving’ Host

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Growing up, all my friends had these holiday get-togethers at their houses for our friend group. One friend would have the Christmas Secret Santa Party, another would have the spooky Halloween Fest, and another would have the crazy New Year’s Eve Sha-bang! I wanted to be a host of something and be able to give my friends a really fun time. Then in 2016, my senior year of high school, came around and ta-da! Friendsgiving was born! Ever since that year, my friends and I have gotten together around Thanksgiving time to bring the junkiest food to my house and enjoy it around one big table.

The first step of being the fall time host is picking a day. As I’ve gotten older, it’s been getting increasingly more difficult to pick a day that fits everyone’s busy college adult life schedules!! But at the end of the day, you have to pick a day where EVERYONE can come even if it means that they need to come late because Thanksgiving is all about being together.

Next step is, OF COURSE, the food. Everyone should discuss what they’re bringing so that there are no repeats and that everyone is cool with the food and be sure to check for any possible allergies or even just simple dislikes. [My menu this year is looking like, macaroni & cheese, potato skins, mozzarella sticks, french fries, chicken nuggets, munchkins, brownies, cupcakes and probably more!!) Make sure to make it fun and enjoyable to eat, not like a boring turkey!

Be prepared to plan and make sure you have everything you need! The day of planning is as follows:

1. DECORATE! I have a fall-themed table cloth and a “Happy Friendsgiving” banner from either TJ Maxx or Marshalls and it’s the cutest thing. Along with that, I have Thanksgiving napkins and even a little turkey stand up for the center of the table.
  2. Set up for the food! Get your hot plates ready on the table as well as plates, cups and plastic/silverware. Some friends are deciding to cook at my place to avoid it getting kind of gross and old (the kraft mac and cheese can only stay good for so long!).
  3. Make sure everything is clean, you have enough chairs and your house is ready for your guests!
  4. Dress accordingly and warmly to welcome your buddies over for a great night!
  5. Bonus tip: Make your friend group cringe by forcing them all to go around the dinner table and say one thing that they are ‘thankful for.’. My friends get annoyed but by the end of it we’re all laughing and happy and it’s a really sweet moment to have with everyone together!

That’s it!…

Oh…

And clean up afterward, oops!

I truly hope that you will all go grab your friends this year and spend some quality, wholesome, turkey time together (minus the turkey). HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE! :)

Melanie is a 21 year old, senior, Communication & Media Arts major and Her Campus Montclair's Events Director. She loves listening to music, dancing, writing, drawing, doing makeup, and having fun with friends. Melanie is very extroverted and loves to go on adventures. She's constantly on social media and is always updated on her favorite Kpop bands!
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.