IMG 4638jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
IMG 4638jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Esther Kang

Be Your Own Barista: Fall Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

I’ve always preferred coffee over tea in the morning. Coffee can also be fun. There are different styles of making coffee and espresso. Everything from the level of coffee roast, your favorite flavor, even to the ratio of milk and sugar. A couple of hundred coffee tutorial TikToks later, I channeled my creativity into making different drinks from coffee and even ventured into making matcha at home! Read on to try out a few new coffee recipes, both hot and cold, to try while WFM this fall – all without an espresso machine.

Back to Black: The Americano

For those who wake up a little bloated in the morning and need a stronger pick-me-up, here are the ingredients to make an Americano.

• ⅓ cup of espresso (or coffee if you don’t have an espresso machine! It tastes just as great!)
  • ⅔ cup of hot water 
  • *Optional: a handful of ice cubes (if you want your Americano cold)
  • *Optional: 2 teaspoons of salted caramel syrup, like this one from Torani to add a bit of sweetness to a bitter drink.

The steps for this are pretty easy to follow: first, prepare the espresso/coffee, add it a glass of your liking, then add your hot water. Stir the mixture, and if you’d like, add 2 teaspoons of Caramel syrup for a sweeter drink, and/or ice cubes if you want an Iced Americano. 

Let’s Make a Caramel Foam Latte

Lattes seem to be harder to make if you don’t have the right tools, but all you need is your coffee maker and an automatic milk frother. Here are the ingredients you’ll need for your fall latte:

• ⅔ cup of espresso/coffee
  • ⅓ cup of milk (any milk of your choice!)
  • 2 teaspoons of caramel sauce (this sauce from Ghiradelli is really sweet so careful how much you add)

You’ll first have to prepare your espresso/coffee as usual. While you prepare your coffee, grab a cup and pour ⅓ of milk into it. Pour the milk into a small pan over medium heat for 3 minutes and add the 2 teaspoons of caramel sauce. This should be enough for the milk to be steamed, but not boiling. After, pour the milk and caramel mixture into a cup, turn on the automatic milk frother and whisk for about 30 seconds. This should be enough for the foam to appear on top of the milk. Pour in your coffee and enjoy!

Pumpkin Chai Cream: Another Take on Pumpkin Spice

Pumpkin spice lattes are the epitome of fall. It’s one of Starbucks’ famous drinks and I’ve recreated a new version of it by watching a TikTok by @lahbco. Just by adding a few new elements, this will be your new fall favorite drink! Here are the ingredients:

• 1 black tea bag
  • ⅔ cup of milk
  • 1 tablespoon of pumpkin puree
  • A dash of salt
  • ¼ teaspoon of pumpkin spice
  • 2 tablespoons of maple syrup

First, prepare your espresso/coffee as usual. Then, into a small pan, pour ⅔ cup of milk of your own choice and add the black tea bag. Let this mixture steep over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Now in a blender, add the hot ⅔ chai milk that’s warmed up, 1 tablespoon of pumpkin puree, a dash of salt, ¼ teaspoon of pumpkin spice, 2 tablespoons of maple syrup. After blending pour into a cup and froth the milk mixture. Finally, pour your espresso/coffee and add your chai milk mixture.

Sit Back with a Blanket and Enjoy Your Warm Cup of Coffee

My favorite is definitely the Pumpkin Chai Cream! As I don’t like pumpkin spice lattes that much, I love the flavor of chai because I grew up having it as a young, Indian-American. So this mixes both of my worlds into one creamy and airy cup of coffee. Whichever way you choose to make your coffee, with a Pour-Over or French Press, remember each cup can turn out different just a  teaspoon more of sweetener or a different coffee-to-milk ratio. Just remember these recipes are the simplest you can find and quarantine-proof! Now, sit back and enjoy autumn with your new coffee recipes that keep you warm.

Harmeen is a student at Montclair State University, New Jersey and is majoring in Business Administration with a Concentration in Marketing. Of course, besides being a Marketing student, she's interested in fashion and lifestyle, and motivated to write unique pieces for her interests.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.