Culture > News

Award Show Season: Women Supporting Women in Hollywood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

This past month, upon the arrival of the new year, the 72nd Golden Globe Awards kicked off award show season with a girl-power bang. One of these inspiring Golden Globe moments came from actress, Amy Adams, when she showed support for her fellow women in Hollywood as she thanked them in her acceptance speech for Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy and reminded the public of the importance and power of the female role.

The award show, hosted by the great and good-humored Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, carried this women-supporting-women flow well into the duration of the night. During Maggie Gyllenhaal’s acceptance speech for Best Actress in a TV Movie or Mini-Series, she shattered the idea that all great roles for women have to depict stereotypical qualities. Yet, the Golden Globe Awards haven’t been the only instance of the rise of female empowerment in Hollywood. Stars like Emma Watson, who is now the UN Women Goodwill Ambassador, and Lena Dunham, who is a strong and open advocate for women and gender equality, strive to express the importance of the equality of women and men in Hollywood and the world as a whole. Dunham was honored on the cover of the ‘Women in Television’ January issue of Elle magazine for her upstanding role as a strong female figure in the media. On Watson’s side of the support spectrum, she delivered an amazing speech at the United Nations Headquarters in September of last year and she repeated her astonishing words of wisdom this past month upon the launch of a new part of her campaign, HeForShe.

The encouraging strive of Watson, Dunham, Adams, and Gyllenhaal are among a heap of other powerful women in the entertainment industry supporting each other in the fight to reach gender equality and the notion that our worth is not defined by our gender, race, or sexuality. They are stepping up to make sure that feamle experiences, perspectives, and contributions no longer remain overlooked. It’s great and refreshing to see celebrity women come together, form a community of powerful women, and inspire the public. Hollywood stars are resurrecting female empowerment more than it has ever been before. It is amazing to see an increased awareness of women’s issues in the public light. With the feminist movement sparking much attention this year, it is in great hope that the women of Hollywood continue to provide this enlightening support among each other and connect and relate with the women of the world.

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3

Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.