This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

We all start the semester the same way: wearing our cutest outfits that are fresh off the racks. We plan our first few outfits for classes before they even start and lay them out on our beds. By the time we reach midterms, we end up rolling to class in our pajamas on with two mismatching shoes. To avoid making this semester another fashion flop here are five ways to revamp your style so you can look chic all semester long!

1. Reorganize Your Wardrobe

Remove any clothes or shoes that you don’t wear at all. If you keep saying you’ll wear it one day and never end up choosing it, odds are you probably never will. This will allow for more room in your closet and you can sell your clothes or donate them. Quick tip: sell your old clothes on Poshmark or Depop to make some extra cash to buy some new pieces or for those iced coffees you buy every morning.

2. Refresh your old clothes

Try mixing and matching pieces you wouldn’t typically think to match. This will make you realize just how much potential your wardrobe has that you may have never thought of before. If you have trouble with this, ask a friend to help you create new outfits!

3. Take inspiration from social media

Follow new users to see fresh new outfits that you can take inspiration from. Instagram and Pinterest are your go-to apps for style inspiration!

4. Buy a few new staple pieces

Staple pieces are what you’ll be wearing the most so maybe go for a new shoe or a new cardigan. Invest in a good pair of jeans and shoes and make sure you have some basic tops to be able to create an abundance of outfit choices. Stores like Forever 21 and American Eagle are great stores for basics and they offer student discounts if you show a valid school ID!

5. Step out of your comfort zone

Try and create outfits that you wouldn’t typically wear to class and experiment with them! If you spent last semester confined to a basic tee and jean combo, try to switch it up this semester and maybe wear a dress or a fun printed pant! A bold new style will give you a boost of confidence to help you take on this semester!

Revamping your style is the perfect way to feel refreshed even when you’re dealing with stress. You will feel more confident and like a better version of yourself!

Tara Byrne

Montclair '21

Tara is 22 years old and a senior at Montclair State majoring in fashion studies with a minor in business. She loves keeping up with pop culture and catching up on her Youtube subscriptions. Tara mostly writes fashion, beauty, and lifestyle pieces for Her Campus. She is the current President and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Montclair. In addition, she is a Co-Campus Coorespondent for Her Campus Montclair.
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.