Style

5 Trends to Incorporate into Your Style This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Looking stylish in the winter can be hard when all you want to do is wear a blanket all day to avoid the freezing weather. With winter just around the corner, it’s time to trade our suede booties for snow boots and our bomber jackets for parkas.

Here are five practical trends you can easily incorporate into your style this winter to look stylish while still being warm.

1. Layering

Play with texture and experiment with layering this season! Layering is extremely important in the winter because you will want to bundle up while you are outside, but still be able to take off layers when you get inside.

A huge layering trend this winter is to layer a cami or tank dress over a long sleeve shirt or turtleneck. This trend gives off major 90’s vibes while also adding a pop to a basic top. Pair this combo with jeans or patterned pants to complete this look. This little trick helps you look super chic and it only requires two items you probably already have in your closet.

2. Fuzzy “Teddy” Coats

One trend that I have been seeing all over campus and my Instagram feed is teddy coats. These neutral colored fuzzy coats are the latest craze. They are not only super cozy, but they elevate any outfit.

Teddy coats can be found all over the internet and mall and range in price from affordable to “my wallet is not going to like this.” The most popular teddy coat this season is the I.AM.GIA pixie coat ($110.) Look at stores like Urban Outfitters, ASOS, Forever 21 and Zaful for cheaper alternatives if you are not willing to spend too much on one coat.

3. Fringe

Fringe is a huge trend this season! You can wear a fringe bag or sweater or even go for a fringe jacket. Fringe is the perfect way to add some glam to your outfits without looking like you tried really hard. It’s also an easy way to add texture to your outfit. Stores such as Forever 21 and Lulu’s are your go-to if you want to pick up some affordable fringe pieces.

4. Animal Print

Add a pop to any outfit by adding a touch of animal print. Leopard, snake and zebra prints are all over the runway this season and are the perfect way to add spice to an outfit. Find a faux fur animal printed jacket or sweater to make any outfit pop. You can even add a pop to every outfit by buying an animal printed phone case if you want to have a subtle pop every day.

5. Tweed

Tweed has always been a staple winter trend because of how versatile it can be. The texture will keep you warm from the cold winter air. Pair a tweed skirt or dress with some knee high boots for a glam look. You can even go for a more unexpected look and pair a tweed jacket with some ripped jeans for a more casual look. You will still have a fun and relaxed look while looking put together!

By incorporating some of these trends into your winter outfits this season you can always look chic, while being practical and comfortable. Just because the winter is cold and dreary doesn’t mean your style has to suffer!

Tara Byrne

Montclair '21

Tara is 22 years old and a senior at Montclair State majoring in fashion studies with a minor in business. She loves keeping up with pop culture and catching up on her Youtube subscriptions. Tara mostly writes fashion, beauty, and lifestyle pieces for Her Campus. She is the current President and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Montclair. In addition, she is a Co-Campus Coorespondent for Her Campus Montclair.
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.