5 NJ Winter Break Activities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Congratulations, collegiettes! You are in the homestretch of finishing all of your projects and finals this semester. Soon, you will have an entire month off to relax, regroup and recharge before the spring semester starts and it is time to do it all over again. If you are staying in New Jersey for winter break, then check out this list below for all the activities you can participate in to avoid cabin fever.

1. Mountain Creek – Lucky for all you New Jerseyans, the Garden State has some beautiful trails and plenty of lodging for a weekend getaway with friends or family. Plan to go skiing, snowboarding or snow tubing at any one of New Jersey’s ski resorts. Mountain Creek in Vernon, NJ is a top spot for all winter activities where you can propel down any one of the 45 trails available. Winter sports not your thing? Try ziplining while at Mountain Creek, which is open all year round. Pack on the layers and enjoy the scenic ride down the mountain. Afterwards, soothe your tired muscles at either one of Mountain Creek’s award-winning spas.
  2. NJ Rock Gym – Wintertime typically results in a loss of motivation to exercise. When the temperature plummets, so does the desire to stay fit. Reverse this trend by participating in fun ways to stay active during the peak winter months. Need an idea for a great workout that you can also do with a group of friends to increase that lack of motivation? Give rock climbing a try at the New Jersey Rock Gym in Fairfield, NJ. It is a killer workout that targets the muscles in your arms, legs, chest and back. This total body workout is completely addictive and perfect for those who don’t want to spend hours exercising at the gym. Bonus: every Tuesday ladies climb for half price!
  3. Weird NJ – Love it or hate it, New Jersey is home to some of the most bizarre mysteries. In fact, it is so strange there is a publication named “Weird NJ” that records all the local legends, hauntings and unexplained phenomena’s. Need to see it to believe it? Pick a mystery from Weird NJ’s website or magazine and visit the location with friends. A flashlight and running shoes may also be necessary if you end up getting too scared. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. Keep in mind to avoid the locations that specify no trespassing.
  4. Paper Mill Playhouse – Need a day to just sit back and relax this winter break? Buy tickets to a variety of shows at the Paper Mill Playhouse. It is known as New Jersey’s very own Broadway located in Millburn, NJ. Watch well-known productions staring some super talented actors. All through December, The Sound of Music will be playing. Have someone in mind that loves theatre? Spoil them by surprising him or her with tickets this winter break!
  5. Stress Factory Comedy Club – The semester can endure plenty of nail-biting exams, all-nighters and group projects where you are left doing a majority of the work. Release some of that tension that has built up over the semester at the Stress Factory Comedy Club in New Brunswick, NJ. This comedy club has some well-known comics headlining certain nights of the week. Get reasonably priced tickets early for you and a friend this holiday season. Those laugh until it hurts and you can’t breathe moments are guaranteed at this hot spot. Tip: Order your food and drinks before the show starts, as it tends to get packed.

Photo Sources:

1, 2