10 Things to Always Be Grateful for in Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Life can be filled with chaos, negativity, and stressful moments. Unfortunately, these factors tend to blur out the positive aspects we encounter in life, but it’s important not to lose sight of the good things! Although there’s a lot of darkness in the world, there’s always a brighter side to look out for.

1. You’re alive and breathing

Annoyances, stressors, and worries can be overbearing sometimes. However, when experiencing these things, remind yourself that it’s not forever! Whether it’s traffic, a huge upcoming exam, and so on, these little stressors won’t even matter in a month or so! Besides, it can always be worse. The only thing you can take away from it all is that you’re alive and breathing!

2. Sunsets and sunrises

Despite all of the horror in the world, let’s be grateful for our planet and the beautiful things that Mother Nature creates for us —  like the magicalness of colors that paint the sky each morning and each night! What did Mother Nature do? THAT.

3. Dogs

Let’s be honest, dogs are one of the greatest gifts life has given us. They’re so pure and genuine and know exactly when or how to comfort someone. Having a bad day? Dog videos, dog kisses, or even dog cuddles is an easy fixer upper.

4. A good education

College and school itself can be stressful, I know. There comes many, many scenarios where this is a big MOOD.

And we all feel like just giving up. Though, we have to remind ourselves that we have such an amazing opportunity given to us —  to seek a higher education. Sometimes college and school doesn’t seem worth it, but in the grand scheme of things, it will all pay off in the end.

5. Friends and family

At the end of the day, you’ll always have the great support system of your friends and family to fall back on. There are so many people out there who love and care for you, and that’s something to be grateful for!

6. Music

Music is one of the best expressive art forms out there and we’re so incredibly blessed to be able to experience it! Nothing can compare to the feeling of discovering new music, a quality song, resonating lyric, or a talented band.

7. Quality Movies

Adding on to the greatness of music, there are so many classic, wonderful, and life changing movies out there to be grateful for! There’s nothing like watching a quality movie and feeling such a great impact afterwards. That’s when you know it’s a good one!

8. Books

Nothing can also compare to the feeling of opening a fresh, unopened book or getting tangled up in the words of a captivating story! It’s amazing how books give us the opportunity to get away from reality for a bit, by getting lost in the narrative.

9. Belly aching laughter

You know those laughing sessions you have with friends, to the point where you can’t breathe and it feels like you’ve grown a six pack?

10. Deep conversations

There is nothing more enlightening than having a mature, grown up conversation with someone about deep topics and learning more about life. This only creates stronger bonds and perhaps new friendships/relationships! How amazing is it to be able to communicate with others about anything and everything?

Granted, there are tons of other things, but these are only just a few positive factors to be grateful for! Over time, you’ll begin to recognize and appreciate more and more of the good things in life. But for now, just take it easy and live life more lightheartedly! Life is the greatest gift there is.

Hope is a junior at Montclair State University, majoring in English. She is the current Lifestyle editor at Her Campus Montclair. Besides having a love for writing, you can often find her listening and discovering new music, admiring sunsets, and fangirling over dogs. 
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.