10 Things 20-Somethings Should Be Doing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Attempting all that we do at such a young age, it can be hard to make sure we remember all of the important stuff – or the stuff that should even be in that category. A simple list of helpful hints can keep us all in check, and make sure that we aren’t wasting this valuable and arguably the best time of our lives. Live it up and keep in mind these simple guidelines collegiates, they’re sure to save our butt every now and again.

Applying for a career

By this point you’ve either figured out your major in college, or graduated from undergrad. Figure out what you want ultimately want from your degree and what kind of job you’d be most interested in pursuing. IT’s also important to figure out something in the interim – lag time in-between jobs will not only make you crazy, but make paying for things incredibly difficult.

Working on your credit or a credit card

Try applying for your first credit card to establish credit, especially if you haven’t graduated yet and haven’t established credit from your loan payments. Look for a card at a store like Victoria’s Secret or something else specialized. A specialty store will only allow a small amount to charge which will curb your spending and save you from drowning in the debt and will prevent you from charging everything.

Work on your own home/residency

If you still live at home, don’t fear, there’s plenty of us that do, especially while we’re still continuing our Bachelor’s degree. If you don’t already have an apartment, it’s best to start looking for one, even if it’s just to get a price idea. You’re not going to want to live home forever – and you shouldn’t either – so getting a grasp of life outside of the comforts of home is essential.  

Self-defense class/defending yourself

Every girl should know how to define themselves – period. Whether it be a simple self-defense class, or even just knowing that the simple contents of your purse can save your life, they’re essential life skills that you’ll never stop needing.

Paying your own bills

Mom and dad cannot keep paying for your cell phone and car insurance – mostly because you’re going to reach an age where it’s socially unacceptable to. If you can financially swing it, take on your cell phone voluntarily and slowly work your way to your own car insurance. The move is not only heartwarming to mom and dad, but it’ll help you become more independent and value the money you make and the ways in which you spend it.

Determine what you want out of a relationship

The fun and games of high school folly have long since passed, so it’s essential you figure out what you want out of a relationship – both with the same and the opposite sex. If you want a long-term relationship, don’t saddle yourself with short term flings, and vice versa. You’ll only be wasting your valuable time by spending time with the people and the circumstances you didn’t want in the first place.

Setting aside part of your paycheck for the future – or a worst case scenario

Money is going to be tight all through school, and most especially right after school, but it’s still important to save. Put money into a savings account that you either cannot touch, or can fight the urge to touch. The safety money will make you feel the world better when something unexpected happens – such as a major car problem or the need to get out of the house fast – as you won’t have to drain yourself dry of all of your money.

Purge your social media – and your life – of the people that will harm you

If you don’t talk to half of the people on your Facebook friends list, delete them. There’s no need to keep unwanted and potentially harmful friends on social media that you haven’t had contact with since you were a teenager. It’s time now – if you haven’t done so already – to prep your social sites for the work force and for your future. You don’t want it full of things that you’ll hate to see much less show someone, somewhere shortly down the road.

Individuality

Establish who you are, your goals, your aspirations, and the things that make you uniquely you. Don’t allow yourself to be influenced too heavily by those around you. Standing out as an individual is crucial during your twenties, as it’s the most defining thing about you that will lead you to the other avenues of your life.

Don’t forget to live

Amidst all of the rules, the pressure, and the stress of having to have it all figured out, don’t forget to live. As Carrie Bradshaw said in the Sex and the City movie, your twenties are for enjoying yourself. Don’t deny yourself a night out with the girls, or the opportunity to loaf on the couch with chocolate and a romcom. We still have time to make mistakes and figure things out. There’s an entire decade worth of time to get things just right.