UMAC: An Artist’s Involvement Turns Collective Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montana chapter.

Student involvement, our moms and professors encourage it, it often includes a free meal, and it even looks good on a resume, but how do we know which group to join.  Thankfully, this decision came to me with incredible ease, as it has to many fellow art students at the university.  I’d always been told, numerous times, the importance of getting involved with the arts and the art community of Missoula, specifically due to the fact that I am getting a degree in the studio art program.  Conveniently, this past fall semester, I had the chance of meeting current BFA student Louis Habeck, who introduced me to a wonderful collection of art students doing just that, getting involved. 

The University of Montana Artist Collective is a student run group on campus, made up of a wide variety of artists, undergraduate and graduate students, and also some faculty.  I’d been engaged with several clubs and coalitions in high school, but none pertaining to art involvement, and, even better, the collective not only gets things done, but enjoys the process.  In order to get down to the roots of this charming group I paid a visit to the Collective’s current president, and avid recruiter, Louis, with a few questions.

Jen: “What do you find to be most exciting about the Collective?” 
Louis: “It’s nice because it gets you involved with the process of becoming a professional artist, it serves as a good warm up to understanding the business in being an artist, and, best of all, it allows art students to bounce ideas off of one another. We work together with other artists, which allows for spontaneous creations and broad idea development.”
Jen: “What are some skills the collective can offer to art students?”
Louis: “It helps students gain business skills. We apply for gallery showings, set up shows, hang work, and organize auctions; it’s perfect for learning professional practices in the art community. The collective is bridging the gap between school and the real world.”

This semester proves to be one of the busiest for the group of students.  Currently, they have pieces being juried for a gallery showing in Glasgow, Montana, as well as preparing for the juried show in March at the U’s Gallery of Visual Arts. 

Comments, Louis: “This is the first year we’ve been a part of the set up in Glasgow. It’s going to be a lot of work, including travel, packing and shipping, demonstrations, and gallery talks.”

The group also hosts a ball to congratulate the graduating BA and BFA students, but, really, it ends up being a big celebration for all of the students involved, those studying art and not alike, as well as the whole of the city of Missoula.  As a member on the committee for the Ball’s planning, I’m getting very excited.  There will be art, bands and booze (there’s even been talk of body paint).  It could get pretty outrageous, but it’ll be a great time nonetheless. 

In addition, until the 25th of February, some of the members have work hanging in the University Center’s Gallery, which can be found on the second floor of the UC. 
Needless to say, Louis, myself, and, I’m sure, many other art students couldn’t be happier to have found this small nitch of individuals here in Missoula.  We help one another out in art and friendship equally, involving ourselves and advancing student involvement in Montana arts. 

The Collective also hosts a blog.

Campus Correspondant- My Campus Montana, colettemaddock@hercampus.com Colette Maddock is a senior at the University of Montana (class of 2011). She is a print Journalism major and a Women's Studies minor from Whitefish, Montana. This summer she interned at Skiing Magazine. She is passionate about winter sports, and loves skiing and figure skating. In her spare time she reads tons of books, tries to cook, and spends time with her friends.