Speak out against domestic violence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montana chapter.
The University of Montana’s Student Assault Resource Center (SARC) is dedicated to highlighting and raising awareness about topics that often go ignored by students. Sexual assault, domestic violence, and dating violence are just a few issues that SARC is dedicated to educate students and faculty. This week, SARC has been dedicated to bring awareness in the forms of creativity, personal expression, and simplicity.  The Clothesline Project encourages survivors of violence to take a T-shirt, paint, and write a message or draw a picture representing their story, or how they overcame abuse. It highlights their strength and exudes a sense of hope for others who are experiencing sexual, dating, or intimate abuse.

The Clothesline Project was started in Massachusetts in 1990 as a recognized awareness event. Megan Selheim, SARC Outreach Coordinator stated, “SARC really likes the Clothesline as an awareness event because it allows survivors to create a unique, public expression of their experience without requiring them to publicly identify themselves as a survivor.” An informative table was held on the main floor of the UC, and a private conference room was available for survivors of dating violence or sexual assault to make a shirt and express their stories.

There are more people in the Missoula area that face this type of violence than we fathom. Having the opportunity to celebrate and support survivors, while raising awareness in a nonaggressive way is far more affective than protesting or causing a scene in public. When asked about the importance of the Clothesline Project, Sydney Faul, UM sophomore, studying art said, “I think its really important that issues like this be brought to light so that the victims will realize that they are not alone, and that there are women out there who went through the same ordeals that they are going through and came out on top”. Sydney, among other students has a positive attitude and response to SARC’s attempts to educate and allow for improvement in the Missoula community and UM campus.

Many observers and students passing through the UC Monday –Wednesday stopped and asked about the event; even if they were unable to make a shirt. The simplicity, yet overwhelming impact each shirt has on the lives of those touched by violence will be showcased at Take Back the Night event in Caras Park, November 4, 2011. For more information about SARC or to become involved go to: http://life.umt.edu/curry/Departments/sarc/.

I am majoring in Native American Studies with a minor in English. I hope to return to reservations in Washington and Montana to improve education and give the desire to strive for a better life. I enjoy writing (Fiction), reading, hiking, and the ocassional couple hours of Pinterest! :)
Alyse is a senior at the University of Montana with a journalism major. She was born and raised in the small town of Dillon, Montana. When not busy with school, Alyse likes to enjoy the beautiful mountains of Montana. In addition to volunteering with Her Campus, Alyse also volunteers at the YWCA by leading support groups for domestic violence and sexual assualt survivors. After graduation, Alyse wants to explore the field of journalism in a warm and sunny climate.