Shout out to Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montana chapter.

As you may or may not know, March is Women’s History Month!  Okay… so how do we celebrate and honor an entire month dedicated to women’s history?  The University of Montana holds countless events dedicated to educating people on women’s studies.  Attending one of these events such as “Lunafest” or “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes” can be a fun way to learn about women and show appreciation at the same time.  However, with exams and papers around every corner it can be hard to find an event that fits your schedule.  At the very least, we can spend a few minutes reflecting on great female role models of the past!  I would like to offer a big thank you to my top personal picks:

Margaret Sanger: The leader of the Birth Control Movement and founder of Planned Parenthood, Margaret Sanger made it possible for women to acquire contraception.  Without Sanger’s brave efforts, who knows where we would be today!

Rosa Parks: When I hear the word dignity, I immediately think of Rosa Parks.  I think of contemporary faces of oppression and realize how difficult it can be to stand up for what I know is right.  Rosa Parks’ seemingly simple act resulted in a major social movement.  If only we all had such courage!

Mother Theresa: We all want world peace, but how many of us make an active effort to achieve it?  Mother Theresa dedicated her life to helping others.  Her tireless efforts to serve those in need painted an inspiring ideal for the rest of us to remember and respect.

Oprah Winfrey: I know there are mixed feelings about Oprah, but who can argue that she is an amazingly well rounded, inspiring, and highly influential person?  Her intelligence, ambition, and talent allowed her to achieve the nearly impossible rags-to-riches phenomena.  Oprah is a great example of a woman who uses her power to help and inspire others!

Eleanor Roosevelt: Eleanor Roosevelt fought for what she believed in and took a common sense approach to activism.  Although she served as the First Lady, her husband never overshadowed her!  Her political position allowed her to reach and empower an entire nation of women.  Eleanor Roosevelt’s humble ways of helping others taught valuable lessons we can still learn from today.

While this is an extremely small handful of the numerous great women of history, there are many more amazing women who have made a difference in the world.  I encourage you to think of a few women you are thankful for, whether they are political figures, family, friends, or social icons.  Happy Women’s History Month!  Our History is Our Strength!

Campus Correspondant- My Campus Montana, colettemaddock@hercampus.com Colette Maddock is a senior at the University of Montana (class of 2011). She is a print Journalism major and a Women's Studies minor from Whitefish, Montana. This summer she interned at Skiing Magazine. She is passionate about winter sports, and loves skiing and figure skating. In her spare time she reads tons of books, tries to cook, and spends time with her friends.