Music Blog: Top 5 Musicals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montana chapter.

Musicals aren’t as popular as the once where right? Every once in a while Disney with spout out a new one that is great for all ages and has some catchy number; but what about those musicals “of old” the ones where more than the animators needed talents? Well here are my top five musicals; you know the ones that aren’t animated.

5. “The Music Man” (1962)
“The Music Man follows a con man who comes to a Midwestern town and ends up using a boy’s marching band program to run a scam, but like all great movies, things don’t really go according to plan. Harold Hill (Robert Preston) comes to River city with the intention of pretending to help out the schools music program, despite having no musical talent, and then the skip town with all the money he’s collected. That is until he falls for the local librarian after she threatens to expose him.
This film has a wonderful story and great music. A must for classic movie lovers!

4. “Oliver!” (1968)
This film was adapted from the classic Dickens’ novel Oliver Twist. With his fun characters brought to life it is an enjoyable film for the whole family. It’s about a boy, Oliver (Mark Lester), who runs away from the orphanage he has been living in for quite some time. He meets wonderfully colorful characters on his journey, including Fagin (Ron Moody) the fun-loving old man. And, probably the most memorable character in the film, The Artful Dodger (Jack Wild) and well his name may just speak for itself.

3. “The Sound of Music” (1965)
This film is very well heard of. It’s hard to find someone who doesn’t remember the songs from this beloved classic. Not to mention all the Julie Andrews fans out there. The story is about a woman who leaves an Austrian convent to become a governess to the children of a Naval officer, whom she ends up falling in love with. Set in the World War II era the film goes from a fun musical to one with more of a serious undertone, as the family must escape Austria and the Nazi invasion. The songs are wonderful and sung beautifully by all. And the landscapes are just breathtaking. Overall one of the best musicals in existence.

2. “Newsies” (1992)
This film depicts the “newsises” strike of 1899. This is a very educational and historical film. It brings to light a very big issue of the time and sets it to some catchy songs and fun dance numbers. Staring Christian Bale, before his Batman days, and Robert Duvall this film is a must see for fans of great fun!

1. “Sigin in the Rain” (1952)
This 50’s musical is perhaps one of the most alluded to in modern films. Starring Gene Kelly, Donald O’Connor, and Debbie Reynolds the story outlines a 1927 on-screen romance pair Don Lockwood (Kelly) and Lina Lamont (Reynolds). Both have worked hard but Lina seems to mistake on-screen romance for real love adding on issues for hard worker Don. When their latest film is turned into a musical Don is ready and willing to sing fully. Liana, however, can’t seem to get that perfect voice despite the efforts of a diction coach. The decided to dub Lina’s voice and hire Kathy Seldon, an aspiring young actress trying to break into the business. Don soon falls in love with Kathy but still wants to put his profession first.
This story is wonderful and put to wonderful music. It is by far my favorite musical.

Campus Correspondant- My Campus Montana, colettemaddock@hercampus.com Colette Maddock is a senior at the University of Montana (class of 2011). She is a print Journalism major and a Women's Studies minor from Whitefish, Montana. This summer she interned at Skiing Magazine. She is passionate about winter sports, and loves skiing and figure skating. In her spare time she reads tons of books, tries to cook, and spends time with her friends.