Let the Countdown Begin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montana chapter.

It’s that time of the semester…the weeks go by slow, and by the end of the weekend we’re already looking forward to the next one. Thus begins the countdown for Spring Break. Whether you’re planning on going home or maybe somewhere warmer than Montana, the Her Campus UM writers have decided to showcase the best of our Spring Breaks to get ourselves ready for the next one!

My favorite spring break was when my boyfriend had the same week off from his school in Washington. We only get to see each other once a month at best, and we were both able to spend the week in Anaconda, where we are originally from. Even though I wasn’t anywhere new and exciting, it was pure pleasure to have a week off of school and spend it with Russell. I also got to spend time with some family that came to visit. Coming to college has made me realize the importance of the people I love, and to take a week off the stresses of a busy semester to spend time with everyone I care about was more than I could ask for! –Mollie Murphy

For spring break my junior year of college I went to Arizona to meet my parents, who had traveled south for the winter.  We spent a week camping in the desert and traveled around to different areas, including Tombstone, Lost Dutchman, and numerous picturesque campsites at the foot of the Superstition Mountains.  If you ever get a chance to go to that part of Arizona be sure to check out the Sonora Desert Museum which has an excellent botanical garden and houses many native animals. –Alexandra Mountzouri

Last year, I went to Vegas with my best friend and three guy friends. The weather was amazing, the drinks were fantastic, and the trip was crazy. In true Vegas style, I almost got married to this random guy I met from Florida! We’re still friends now. –Alyse Backus

Last year, I drove down to San Diego with a group of girls from my house and spent the week beach hopping and watching surfing competitions. –Annaliese Shank

My best spring break was in 2009. I went to a Journalism Education Association convention in New York City. We stayed right in Times Square, went to Columbia for classes, saw Chicago on Broadway, and just explored the city. I also flew home to a room full of balloons, stars and personalized M&Ms asking me to prom. –Carli Krueger

My freshman year, equipped with Swedish fish and a road trip with plenty of car trouble, included my best spring break ever.  We knew we wanted to camp, and we knew we had little money, but we were determined to go far, and get somewhere warm. Little did my two dear friends and I know, in late March the Oregon coast proves rather cold, raining more often than not, allotting for high chances of limited dry clothing and getting colds.  Regardless, we took the risk. While the majority of time was spent shivering in forever damp hikers and jeans, the trip turned out a most memorable, and enjoyable, spring break. A particular highlight of the trip landed in the last couple of nights of the adventure.  The three of us, four days shy of a shower or dry sleeping area, caved.  We found a good deal in a hotel right on the beach in Northern Oregon.  I’ve never been so cozy, or so relieved to find myself clean.  Come our final morning the rain let up and the sun finally showed us some relief of gray skies.  What could have quickly became a disappointing experience, became something beautiful.  I stumbled through the soft coast sand, recovering from bronchitis no less, under the heavy spring rain.  We cooked, camped, played guitar next to the warming fire, and reveled in this short moment of what felt like everlasting youth. –Jen DuToit

One of my best spring breaks was when I went to southern California to visit my family. I got to spend time basking in the sun in Palm Springs and driving up near Los Angeles to spend time at the beach. While I was at the beach I just got to read and sleep in the sun, and we saw a pod of dolphins just off shore before we left to go back to the desert. All that time in the sun and the sand made me forget just how cold it would be coming back to the mountains! –Kristine Quint

Most of my spring breaks are spent lounging around my house watching movies and eating too many pretzels. This works for me. It really does. But once, things were different… During my sophomore year of high school (and it seems like so long ago), I had the wonderful opportunity to go to the most fantastic place in the entire world… New York City. Our school choir was invited to join with five other choirs from across the U.S. and perform a concert in Carnegie Hall. Our six-day trip included visits to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Central Park, the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Brooklyn Bridge, Ground Zero, and several other touristy spots around Manhattan, culminating in our concert at Carnegie Hall. There were about sixty people in the group, which got a little insane (especially when trying to coordinate subway rides), but it was all worth it. I got to see a little of what I like to call the “real world” (unbeknownst to most native Montanans), and I discovered that someday I want to live in the Big Apple… at least for a while. The cosmopolitan air got to me, and I hope to someday spend another spring break roaming the streets of the City That Never Sleeps. –Katie Warren

Imagine being stranded on a desert island with 13 of your closest friends, bathing suit on, barbequing the days and nights away. That’s spring break on Lake Mead, except it wasn’t a desert island, it was a houseboat. For six days and five nights 14 of us spent every waking moment tanning, swimming, playing games of sorts and generally getting to know each other much better than we dreamed we could or probably ever wanted to. While there were certainly obstacles, (four girls, 10 guys, four beds: obviously the girls claimed two to share upon stepping onto the boat) they were all easily overcome and it was truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. –Colette Maddock

Campus Correspondant- My Campus Montana, colettemaddock@hercampus.com Colette Maddock is a senior at the University of Montana (class of 2011). She is a print Journalism major and a Women's Studies minor from Whitefish, Montana. This summer she interned at Skiing Magazine. She is passionate about winter sports, and loves skiing and figure skating. In her spare time she reads tons of books, tries to cook, and spends time with her friends.