How to survive a Montana winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montana chapter.

The first few snowflakes are hitting the ground. So it’s time to prepare yourself for a long Montana winter. They are cold, windy and gloomy. Winters in Missoula can test anyone’s patience, but follow a few tips and you are sure to make it through to summer.

1. Buy good winter clothes. No, UGG boots and miniskirts are not proper winter attire. I am talking mittens, scarves and hats here. Invest in a cute, timeless pea coat or sporty puffer jacket. Just make sure it is warm. Then accessorize away with scarves and hats. Legwarmers under boots help cut the cold and are on trend as well.
  2. Get to the gym. Use these months to create a fitness routine that will get you spring break ready. It will help regulate your energy levels when the weather stays gloomy. You could even try Bikram yoga if you are craving some heat.
  3. Pick up a new hobby. You know what they say, time flies when you are having fun. You’re going to have to stay inside. So this is the perfect time to learn something new.
  4. Take some vitamin D. Without the sunshine, your body might be lacking this essential nutrient. You can some cheap at Wal Mart.
  5. Cuddle! This is the perfect time to use someone else to help you keep warm. Date nights can turn into cuddle sessions that are sure to spice up winter nights.

Hopefully, this helps you all stay warm and wait out the colder months!

Alyse is a senior at the University of Montana with a journalism major. She was born and raised in the small town of Dillon, Montana. When not busy with school, Alyse likes to enjoy the beautiful mountains of Montana. In addition to volunteering with Her Campus, Alyse also volunteers at the YWCA by leading support groups for domestic violence and sexual assualt survivors. After graduation, Alyse wants to explore the field of journalism in a warm and sunny climate.