Album Review: Real Estate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montana chapter.

It’s that time of year again…the snow fell, the sidewalks froze, and yet another semester of school started.  For many, these are common themes of late winter in Montana…not necessarily things that are awful, but these are some of the things I’d rather forget.  Fortunately, not long before winter struck Missoula, I came across the album Days.

Real Estate threw out an album sure to cure any soul with the winter weeps.  The songs aren’t anything incredibly edgy, but they sure are catchy.  The album reflects the long, lazy summer days…wasting time in the grass with a lover and driving long stretches of highway without a worry in the world.  The album also reflects an adult’s independence – an escape from youth – but not in a sense of paying bills, buying gas, or worrying about grades.  This Real Estate adult has the easygoing feel of minimal constraints to the ideas of real-life.  Days is the warm day we all want to hold onto…when we do nothing, but manage to dream of everything.

The music, alongside the lyrics, holds graceful melodies.  Each song is very simple, introducing constant chord repetitions and subtle fills – we are reminded of the kindness of warmer weather and the ability to enjoy music so simple and still find ways to appreciate it.

Needless to say, Days is an album that helps me forget about the countless hours of homework I’m bound to in my dark apartment, avoiding the library in fear of the crisp weather outside.  I’d like to think winter will end earlier this year…and it feels good to be naive.

Alyse is a senior at the University of Montana with a journalism major. She was born and raised in the small town of Dillon, Montana. When not busy with school, Alyse likes to enjoy the beautiful mountains of Montana. In addition to volunteering with Her Campus, Alyse also volunteers at the YWCA by leading support groups for domestic violence and sexual assualt survivors. After graduation, Alyse wants to explore the field of journalism in a warm and sunny climate.