5 Movies to Watch Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montana chapter.

We all know about those big blockbuster movies advertised constantly, but what about those movies you’ve never heard of? Those movies that were low budget and looked over, well a surprisingly those movies can turn out to be a favorite. These are my top five picks for movies that should have made a bigger splash in the theaters.

5.) “Cutthroat Island”
This 1995 film entitled “Cutthroat Island” tells the tale of Pirate Morgan Adams (Geena Davis) and her companion William Shaw (Matthew Modine) on a quest to claim three parts of a treasure map passed down to Morgan by her father. They collect two out of three and then have to face Morgan’s murderous Uncle Dawg (Frank Langella) holds the final piece. Amid facing her uncle she must convince her skeptical crew before the commit mutiny. Among all this Morgan must also face down the British Navy who is intent on ending her pirate lifestyle before she can recover the treasure.

4.) “Penelope”
This 2006 movie is a romantic tale about Penelope Wilhern (Christina Ricci) who has been hiding her entire life due to a mysterious family secret. The movie takes Penelope on a journey to find love and break the family curse. The entire film is a beautiful story about “liking oneself just they way you are”. While Penelope goes off in search for love she realizes just this. Along the way she finds herself meeting all sorts of interesting people, like Annie (Reese Witherspoon) a fun loving, “live in the moment” kind of girl that becomes a fun role model for Penelope. She also meets Max (James McAvoy) who becomes a love interest for Penelope. The movie is a wonderful drama with a cute storyline and great actors. It’s a must see despite the bad reviews.

3.) “Newsies”
This 1992 film is a musical with a political point. In July of 1899 the two biggest newspaper mongrels, Joseph Pulitzer (Robert Duvall) and Randolph Hearst raise the distribution price on the newsboys, or “Newsies”, they decide to take initiative and strike, just like the railroad workers being reported on in the newspapers they had been selling. The inspiration behind the strike lay in a sort of leader among the newsies known as “Cowboy”, Jack Kelly (Christian Bale). Along with his friend David Jacobs (David Moscow) and the rest of the motley newsies they stand together and never fall. This is a wonderfully made musical with themes that are more serious. The songs are catchy and accompanied with fun dance routines. Overall it is a very enjoyable film.

2.) “The Musketeer”

This 2001 film is just as its title insinuates, the legendary “Three Musketeers.” However, this film covers a more understated aspect of the legend. This movie is about D’Artagnan (Justin Chambers) seeking out the help of the recently fired musketeers in 17th century Pairs. He finds them drunk and wallowing with no interest in helping him. Throughout the film D’Artagnan finds himself pitted against the king’s assassins and the man who killed his parents. Then the Queen (Catherine Deneuve) intent on finding out the reason behind her husband’s odd rulings enlists D’Artagnan to help her and her old friend Francesca (Mena Suvari) track down the minds behind the government issues. As the obstacles stack against them the old musketeers must decide to help D’Artagnan or stay safe,

1.) “American Outlaws”
Another 2001 film it is a very entertaining take on one of the “Old West’s” biggest legend, Jesse James (Colin Farrell). When brothers Jesse and Frank James (Gabriel Macht) return to their home after fighting in the civil war they are only met with military takeover in their town. Not only are their lives in danger because of their affiliations the Railroad’s President, Thaddeus Rains (Harris Yulin) is trying to buy up the land they grew up on. After the James’ cousin Cole Younger (Scott Cann) kills one of the railroad men he is sentenced to hang and Jesse plans a daring rescue plan. During the rescue Allen Pinkerton is injured and Rains’ men take matters into their own hands. An attack that leaves farms burning and the James’ mother dead the James-Younger gang is formed and Jesse James begins making a name for himself. With his new outlaw status Jesse also has to find a way to spend time with his long time sweet hard Zerelda “Zee” Mimms (Ali Larter). This is wonderful film about the birth of a legend.

Campus Correspondant- My Campus Montana, colettemaddock@hercampus.com Colette Maddock is a senior at the University of Montana (class of 2011). She is a print Journalism major and a Women's Studies minor from Whitefish, Montana. This summer she interned at Skiing Magazine. She is passionate about winter sports, and loves skiing and figure skating. In her spare time she reads tons of books, tries to cook, and spends time with her friends.