The Value in a Humanities Degree

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.
If your major falls under the category of the arts and humanities, do not be ashamed of that.

As an English major, I have grown accustomed to cringing whenever someone asks, “What’s your major?” I prepare myself for the judgmental remark that I will never be able to find a job, and sometimes I even walk away wondering if that’s true.

Here’s what I’ve decided: it may be harder for me to find a job, but I don’t care.

Our modern world is heavily centered around the STEM field, but try to picture the world if everyone chose a major within those disciplines. There would no art, novels, movies, or music. If we love these sources of entertainment so much, then why do we belittle the people who want to dedicate their lives to creating them?

If everyone pursued the same profession, the world wouldn’t be balanced anymore. That is exactly why everyone has different interests and passions.

Some people have also said things to me like, “You’re just an English major, so your classes must be easy.” This is so not true. It is pointless to compare the curriculum of different majors. One is not necessarily more rigorous than the other; they just require different classes and strengths.

My writing has improved in incomprehensible ways since I’ve started college. That is what motivated me to further my education, and I can’t imagine abandoning my writing to pursue a career that doesn’t interest me. How could following my passion ever be a waste of time or money?

Writing and communication skills are also invaluable assets to any career. You may even end up in the business world with your humanities degree – the possibilities are truly endless.

The next time someone asks you to justify your humanities degree, just ignore them. Life is too short to not follow your dreams. Say it with me: do what you love and money will follow. 
Jenna Puglisi

Monmouth '19

Jenna founded Monmouth's chapter with her co-correspondent and BFF, Christi. Jenna is a senior at Monmouth, studying English with a minor in Public Relations. Her greatest love is writing, which she practices through journalism, poetry, and a personal blog at https://jennapug.com/. When she isn’t writing, you can find her wandering around bookstores, dancing at concerts, and drinking obscene amounts of coffee.