This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

As we all know, these past six months have been pure chaos. 2020 was supposed to be the year for growth and change, but it turned out to be the year of staying indoors and avoiding people.

Although these circumstances have put us all in difficult and confusing situations, it

has given me the chance to take up an old hobby – reading.

As an English major, I read several books a week; however, they are for academic purposes which can be pretty dense. During my quarantine, I spent time picking up books and reading them for fun.

I read a lot during this pandemic, but the three that I enjoyed the most were Daisy Jones & The SixLovecraft Country, and The Devil All the Time.

Daisy Jones & The Six – Taylor Jenkins Reid 

Reid’s story is a historical fiction novel that follows a 70s rock band called The Six. The book is written in an interview format, featuring the band members retelling the days of the start, the rise, and the fall of the band. The characters face a lot of ups and downs together, with the main source of drama and tension deriving from Daisy Jones, the new lead singer of the band, and Billy Dunne, the front man of The Six. 

I consumed this book in one day – I could not put it down! The interview style made for a smooth reading experience. Also, the author wrote actual songs for the band! When I realized they weren’t a real band, I was disappointed because Reid’s ability to create such an amazing story with even better characters made them feel so real. 

The only good thing that came about after I found out they weren’t a real band is that it is going to be adapted into a miniseries at Amazon! Unfortunately, the pandemic shut down production, but hopefully it will resume soon.

Lovecraft Country – Matt Ruff

I was first introduced to this universe through a trailer for the HBO series. I saw the clip and was drawn to the story initially because of the horror aspect – I am a sucker for horror, so I’ve been hooked on Ruff’s creation ever since! Immediately after, I bought the book and devoured it in one day. 

The story takes place during the time of the Jim Crow laws. The book explores the racism of the era while highlighting the horror fiction author H.P Lovecraft. The main character, Atticus Turner, learns that his father has gone missing, so he goes on a journey with his uncle George and friend Letitia to find him. Along the way, the three come across a variety of bizarre terrors.

The element of horror portrayed as both a fictional and realistic aspect intrigued me. Also, the interconnected stories were so cool to see in the book. 

The book is now an HBO series – it began airing on August 16th, and regularly airs new episodes every Sunday at 9 pm.

The Devil All the Time – Donald Ray Pollock

Now this has to be the most unsettling book I’ve ever read; nonetheless, it is now one of my absolute favorites. Just like Lovecraft Country, I heard about this story from its adaptation. In 2018, Netflix announced the film project; although it took me a long time to read the book, I wouldn’t trade the experience for the world!

The novel follows several diverse characters that, oddly enough, are connected in some way. The story takes place in the post-World War II period in Knockemstiff, Ohio, and Coal Creek, West Virginia. The book follows the protagonist Arvin Russell, his troubled war veteran father Willard Russell, a serial killer couple, and an unethical preacher. As you get farther into the book, the characters come into contact in unpredictable ways.

Once again, I read this book in one day! The story kept me guessing every time I flipped the page. The suspense and dark tone were nothing like I’ve read before. I will say, this story may not be for everyone, but I recommend it to those who are interested!

The Netflix film, The Devil All the Time, began streaming on September 16th. 

The one thing all three of these books have in common – they are all adaptations! This year has not been easy, but finding my passion for reading again has made me so much more grateful. I don’t get this much free time, and I’m sure none of you do as well, but I kept myself busy and enjoyed reading these three incredible books.

Allison is 21 years old and currently a senior at Monmouth University. She is an English major and hopes to enter a career in digital content writing or social media marketing. She loves all things pop culture - tv shows, movies, music, beauty, and more!