I’ve always been someone who is more into skincare than makeup, so my dresser is basically a Clinique counter. So, I had to ask myself, “What kind of toxic chemicals are in my beauty products? Is this a new clean lifestyle trend or is it just a modernized marketing scheme?”
I decided to actually read the ingredients labels on my skincare products. Considering that I can barely pronounce 75% of them, I decided to do some research. I discovered that they are toxic. I’m here to break down the best products that will rid your routine of toxins.
- Cleansers – 100% Pure Fermented Rice Water Cleanser – $32 or 100% Pure Tea Tree and Willow Acne Clear Cleanser – $29 The Fermented Rice Water Cleanser from 100% Pure is a great facial wash for normal, dry, oily and combination skin types. But the Tea Tree and Willow Acne Clear Cleanser, also from 100% Pure, is especially great for those with oily, acne-prone skin like mine. A concentration of antibacterial tea tree and willow washes away excess oil, makeup, impurities, and bacteria that clog pores and cause acne breakouts.
- Toners – S.W. Basics Toner $15.49 The S.W. Basics Toner is a natural toner made of only five ingredients: water, organic raw apple cider vinegar, witch hazel, and organic essential oils of clary sage and sandalwood. The non-drying toner is great for all skin types and the natural antiseptic ingredients balance your skin’s complexion.
- Eye Cream – 100% Pure Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye Cream -$26 The Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye Cream from 100% Pure doesn’t only de-puff while increasing circulation to brighten dark circles, but it also smells AMAZING and not in the way that makes you hungry – who hasn’t been starving at 12am after finishing their skincare routine? To make it even better, it’s concentrated with potent anti-aging vitamins, antioxidants, and nourishing rosehip oil to make eye area look more awake and youthful.
- Serum AM – Osmia Balance Facial Serum – $50 The Balance Facial Serum by Osmia is a product I was hesitant to try considering its price, but its rave reviews made me do it, and I’m so happy I did. Formulated for normal, oily and combination skin types, this product balances skin’s oil production to prevent acne, as it evens and smooths your skin. It regulates sebum production to help oily skin act less oily, and combination skin self-regulate, bringing your skin back into natural balance.
- Serum PM – 100% Pure Multi-Vitamin + Antioxidants Potent PM Serum – $59 Formulated for normal, dry, oily and combination skin types, 100% Pure’s Multi-Vitamin + Antioxidants Potent PM Serum boosts collagen and elastin production, brightens and increases ceramide levels for moisture and suppleness, restores and protects from free radicals, reverses sun damage, and lessens and prevents lines and wrinkles by firming skin. The non-toxic ingredients in this serum work harmoniously to restore a youthful, healthy, glowing complexion.
- Moisturizer – ELYSE MARIE BOTANICALS – Illuminate Face Rosehip + Rose Geranium Anti-Aging Moisturizer – $38.99 Illuminate Face Rosehip + Rose Geranium Anti-Aging Moisturizer by Elyse Marie Botanicals might have a heavier price tag, but this 1 fl. oz. bottle lasts a while, as only a few drops are necessary for the entire face. This product works to detoxify with essential vitamins and fatty acids, unveiling a youthful, dewy glow with a shield of protection from external pollutants. This moisturizer also duplicates as a magnificent primer for flawless makeup application.
- Body Wash – 100% Pure French Lavender Shower Gel – 8 oz. – $20 I know, I know… $20 for a bottle of body wash is a lot. But this product is worth the extra expense. It is jam-packed with therapeutic herbs, rose hydrosol, green tea, and seaweed, which hydrate and nourish your skin without harmful, toxic ingredients. This shower gel is free of sulfates, detergents, artificial fragrances and perfumes, synthetic dyes, chemical preservatives, etc. Isn’t it worth the extra couple dollars a month to avoid these toxins?
- Shampoo – 100% Pure Honey & Virgin Coconut Shampoo – 8 oz. – $20 There are several 100% Pure shampoo and conditioner combos available: Yuzu & Pomelo Glossing, Kelp & Mint Volumizing, and Burdock & Neem Healthy Scalp just to name a few. However, as someone who blow-dries, straightens, or curls several times throughout the week, I sought out this restorative formula: 100% Pure Honey & Virgin Coconut Shampoo. This product deeply moisturizes while gently cleansing, as its formula is intended to restore dry and damaged hair. Whether your hair is color treated or not, this shampoo will result in stronger, healthier, glossier hair, which is pretty impressive for a vegetarian product. Without synthetic chemicals, artificial fragrances, chemical preservatives, sulfates, or detergents, you can feel good about giving yourself that well-deserved in-shower scalp massage.
- Conditioner – 100% Pure Honey & Virgin Coconut Conditioner – 8 oz. – $20 Last but not least, the Honey & Virgin Coconut Conditioner by 100% Pure is the perfect complement to its shampoo counterpart. This product repairs, softens, and detangles as it deeply moisturizes dry and damaged hair. As a conditioner, formulated without any harmful ingredients, the restorative conditioner does its job while allowing you to enjoy your 5 minute in-shower scalp massage before heading to class or work in the morning.
Hopefully, I have been able to fill you with some ideas on how to start making the switch to natural, non-toxic beauty products. Besides from learning that plants are more powerful than we think, you will actually be helping the planet, supporting sustainability, and worrying less about whether you’re using the healthiest beauty products on your skin.