A Lookback at the Trends That Got Us Through COVID The Past Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

It has been one year since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic and it has changed the way in which we live our daily lives. When the world entered a lockdown, everyone thought it was going to be a short two weeks, however, one year later and this has turned into our new reality. Locked into our homes and with nowhere to go, people began to get creative to keep themselves busy. Here is a look back at all the trends/phases that occurred during the quarantine lockdown that make you question, Was the really a year ago already?

Toilet Paper Craze When the pandemic struck the world by surprise, everyone flocked to the grocery stores to wipe the shelves clean of the bare necessities. One of those necessities being toilet paper. No matter what store you tried to go to, toilet paper was sold out everywhere! People became so desperate they began ordering it online at ridiculously high prices.

Tie-Dyeing Everything To stay on brand with the theme of cleaning, people began using bleach to tie-dye their clothing. Even when cleaning supplies were low, looking cute and fashionable weighed heavier. People turned to different types of toilet cleaners to bleach their clothing to give it a tie-dye pattern. In addition, tie-dye kits were sold out everywhere when everyone started making their own tie-dye sweat sets to stay cozy at home. Even now tie-dye remains in trend as many big companies began launching lines with these designs.

Bread Phase While everyone had way too much time to themselves, people began experimenting with bread making. The pandemic started a banana bread and sourdough frenzy. Again, the grocery shelves were left bare as shoppers wiped them clean of all necessary ingredients: flour, sugar, and yeast.

Workouts From Home As everyone ate too much banana bread and gyms were closed, people began to get creative in their workout at home. Since it was nearly impossible to buy any workout equipment, many workout videos grew increasingly popular. One workout trend that became a huge hit during the pandemic was YouTuber Chloe Ting’s Get Abs in Two Weeks. This abs workout challenge has received over 320 million views on YouTube alone.

Zoom In the early weeks of this virus, many believed that remote working and online learning would be a temporary situation however, Zoom has now become everyone’s daily practice. At the beginning of the pandemic to bring some enjoyment to lockdown, many people even began hosting “Zoom Happy Hours.” As there was no place to go on Friday Nights, Zoom was able to provide friends with a fun alternative to have happy hour at home.

Tiger King Locked inside our homes and with nothing better to do than watch Netflix, the miniseries Tiger King blew up around the world. The show explored the life of big cat breeding and its bizarre underworld, populated by eccentric characters like Carole Baskin and Joe Exotic. This led many fans to question the odd theory Did Carol Baskin kill her husband?

The past year has been a difficult time for many. However, these trends have been able to make the difficult times just a little bit easier. As cases begin to slow, and vaccine distributions are on the rise, it is important to remember that brighter days are ahead and that this pandemic will soon come to an end (finally!).

Danielle Roma

Monmouth '22

Danielle is a current junior at Monmouth University who is pursuing a major in marketing.