Career

Important Interview Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

In today’s day and age, many interviews, whether they be for a job, internship, or graduate school, seem to be conducted virtually such as on Zoom or over the phone. The traditional face-to-face meeting seems obsolete due to the social distancing put into place due to the ongoing pandemic. However, just because you aren’t sitting in a big office room with a hiring manager doesn’t mean you should wing it when it comes to having an interview. Here are a couple tips and tricks to nail any interview you might encounter.

1. Practice, practice, practice!

A simple Google search can give you a list of the most common interview questions for almost any job or position. It’s important to rehearse what you might say for each question, even if you’re confident that the interview will go well. By practicing, you can avoid rambling on for an unnecessary amount of time and not answering the question.

2. Do research on wherever you are applying

Make sure you know about the company or school you are applying to. If they ask you why you want to work for them, or why you would be a great fit, you want to be able to apply yourself and relate yourself to what it is they do. It shows you have a strong interest in the company or organization, and that you’re not just applying for the position just because.

3. Avoid unprofessionalism

Although it can definitely be nerve-wracking going into an interview, it’s best to avoid stuttering and using “um” and “uh” throughout your interview. Slouching is also a no-no, and it’s important to make eye contact with the individual conducting the interview. A big thing to avoid would be arriving late. I always like to get to the interview location or get on the Zoom link a few minutes beforehand, to show I can be on time and punctual.

4. Dress for success

There’s a saying: “Dress for the job you want, not for the job you have.” If you have a simple part-time job right now and don’t have to wear a uniform, but are interviewing for a full-time job at a big tech company, odds are that you should dress like a business professional during your interview. Looking presentable in you interview will show the interviewer that you are put-together, professional, and give off a sense of confidence.

5. Be confident!

Overall, just be confident! The worst-case scenario is that the employer will tell you no. You have nothing to lose, so just be proud of your background and history and show that employer who’s boss! You are the best version of yourself, so project that in your interview, and you’re sure to do well!

Ashley Pastore

Monmouth '22

Hi! My name is Ashley Pastore, and I am a senior majoring in marine and environmental biology and policy, and minoring in information technology. I am a dog enthusiast, and love to go for hikes and try new food! Ask me anything about Harry Potter, I'm sure I'll know the answer!