This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

I believe that this journey can be dated back to high school when my best friend was so excited about a third season to this show called Twin Peaks in 2017. It was a break out moment because it had been exactly 25 years since the show went off air. Stubborn me decided that the hype was not for me.

Fast forward three years and here I was scrolling through YouTube to find some relaxing music to read to. On my home page, I had a video recommended to me titled “Twin Peaks Double R Diner Ambience” that was eight hours long. I turned my lamp and string lights on, lit up a soy candle, and laid down to listen. Between the photo and silky jazz music, I felt like I needed to get into this show.

I had just finished Brooklyn Nine-Nine and was in search for a new show regardless and Twin Peaks took the spot.

If you needed dramatic, spooky, and a taste of just amazing cult classic scenes, this is the show for you. FBI Agent, Dale Cooper, comes to Twin Peaks following the mysterious death of Laura Palmer and that is not just all. There is a web of relationships, betrayal, and suspense that crowds every minute. Don’t forget the witty, weird, and wild characters from the log lady to Deputy Director Gordon Cole, seedy Bobby Briggs, and everyone in between.

The first season of the show is the best, but only has eight episodes. While the second season contains twenty-two episodes, the plot does begin to derail and unravel. 

The first season is the show. If you were to stop after episode eight, though there is a huge cliff hanger, you would still be satisfied.

One take away from season two is the character Denise Bryson that was a turning point for American TV. Denise is a trans woman that is not used to be a token. In fact, even characters are inspired and in love with her power. While Denise is played by a straight actor, having her in a TV show in the early 1990s was major. As a member of the LGBTQ+ community, I felt that this can be something overlooked for how Denise was portrayed in the show.

If this doesn’t hook you yet, let me tell you a little bit about the aesthetic of the show. Imagine encapsulating the first few consistently cold days of fall, when the leaves are turned and beginning to fall. When the moon is bright and the sky is slightly cloudy. This is every episode. The introduction flies over Washington state’s trees with mist around them and the colors are all the fall aesthetic someone needs. The music, like the eight-hour long video, has that slow and smooth jazz that can make you feel for the characters.

The first two seasons are on Netflix, but the third is not because it was released by Showtime instead of NBC.

Skylar Daley

Monmouth '20

Hi guys! I'm the Co-CC for the Monmouth chapter. I'm an English major at Monmouth University and I'm totally obsessed with Stephen King and gothic lit.