This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

I like to think of myself as a huge advocate for loving yourself and embracing who you are, but I also suffer from the pressure of trying to look perfect. Most days, I feel so beautiful and am happy with how I look; yet I do sometimes compare myself to others, picking out my flaws and realizing I will never look like them. 

From the ages of 14-20, I had a horrible self-body image. I played basketball my whole life, so my body shape did not align with the typical “feminine body.” I didn’t like how my arms looked, I felt too tall, and I thought my stomach was too big. Also, it didn’t help that my so-called “friends” harassed me, constantly making me feel unattractive and calling me “manly.”

At the age of 19, I ended up deactivating all my social media because I was comparing myself to others regularly. My body image was slowly affecting my mental health, so I needed to step away before anything else happened.

As I got older, I learned not to care about what others think. I rarely listen to what people have to say about me because the only opinion that matters is mine. I still catch myself comparing my body to others, but I no longer obsess over it anymore, and I move on pretty quickly.

The conversation around body image is a tough one because people are supposed to embrace their size and love who they are. However, there is also still that insecurity of seeing models on social media, showcasing their fit and thin forms that some people believe is the “ideal body type.” 

The media gives into this, playing it up and making millions feel bad about their bodies. Rather than giving in to what the media wants, I have chosen to ignore them. 

No two people look identical; everyone is different, and it’s time we all accept that.

You might be asking, “How do we embrace our bodies?” Well, I am going to provide some tips that helped me get to where I am today – happy and healthy.

1. Once you realize that no one has a “perfect” body, you will feel so much happier.

2. Accept yourself – appreciate what your body has and can do right now.

3. Step away from social media if it becomes too overwhelming.

4. Defeat the critical voices in your head.

5. Treat yourself once in a while.

6. Find a style where you can show-off what you love about your body.

7. Never body shame anyone.

These seven approaches to embracing your body are just suggestions – try them if you will, and let me know how it goes.

Please, love your body and who you are. Negativity is not worth it. 

Allison is 21 years old and currently a senior at Monmouth University. She is an English major and hopes to enter a career in digital content writing or social media marketing. She loves all things pop culture - tv shows, movies, music, beauty, and more!