Describing Colors to a Blind Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

We take many, many things for granted. Our family, friends, homes, food, bodies, sight, etc. We tend to have this bad habit of thinking about what we do not have rather than what we do. Always, always remember your blessings. If you must compare yourself to others; then compare yourself to those who have less than you so that you may be grateful.

I found myself pondering over something so simple yet miraculous. Something that millions of people have not the opportunity to witness. It’s written in the sunset sky, it’s painted on a field of flowers, it lands on the tip of your fingers as shimmering snow. It’s colors. It’s so uniquely beautiful that it’s nearly indescribable. Nonetheless, here is my humble attempt at sharing my eyes:

Intermission: You, too, can help share your eyes by downloading the Be My Eyes app onto your smartphone. This app is for sighted people to assist low vision/blind persons in everyday tasks such as finding out which canned food they are holding, to what color their shirt is and so many more in between.

BLACK – Falling, but never hitting the floor, strong, mysterious.

WHITE – Floating, still, silent.

BLUE – Cold, calm, reliable.

GREEN – homey, smells like freshly cut grass, feels like being barefoot in nature.

RED – Hot, anger, eye catching.

YELLOW – warm, sour, fun.

PINK – sweet, smells like flowers, talkative.

GREY – an empty room, apathetic, mute, wise.

ORANGE – loud, friendly.

PURPLE – dignified, mature.