This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

Some people love to hate Coldplay, but I love to love them. In the band’s new documentary, Coldplay: A Head Full of Dreams, a 2005 New York Times article called “The Case Against Coldplay” is briefly mentioned, so this is my case for Coldplay. 

Since the release of their 2011 album Mylo Xyloto, they have been one of my favorite bands. Throughout these past seven years, whenever I needed a little bit of light to brighten up any dark days, I turned to the soothing voice of Chris Martin. Coldplay’s catalog ranges from sad acoustic songs to upbeat dance bops, so there is a track to accompany all my moods.

While the band has always radiated positivity, in recent years, Chris has begun to strongly voice the world’s need for more love. For starters, the band always wears Love Buttons during their performances. The idea of the Love Button Global Movement is to spread love and kindness to everyone around us.

Coldplay created awareness for Love Buttons by giving out a button to every attendee of their concerts during the A Head Full of Dreams tour. I currently have mine displayed on my backpack, and I think it’s the cutest accessory ever. If you want to support the cause, you can check out the website here: https://www.lovebutton.org/.

Coldplay also ends their A Head Full of Dreams album with the advice, “Believe in love.” They have claimed that AHFOD is the ending to a certain chapter of their lives, and it’s unclear if they will be making new music in the future. But if those are the last words we get from Coldplay, then I think that’s pretty perfect. If you believe in love and the good in the world, everything else will fall into place. 

In their documentary, the past 20 years of Coldplay’s career is put on the screen. As one of their devoted fangirls, it was amazing to see footage of a young Chris (with braces, OMG) declare that Coldplay was destined to become a huge band. There’s also plenty of live footage, which is a blessing because their concerts are a work of art. In fact, my dream is to be proposed to at one of their concerts under a sea of confetti, so I’m crossing my fingers that there will be more tours in the future.

[Image Taken from Coldplay’s Instagram]

The documentary was in movie theaters for one night only, and I was lucky enough to score tickets. I cried about five times because it just made my heart feel so full. At the end of the day, the members of Coldplay are just college friends who worked their asses off. Throughout the documentary, Chris repeats the advice, “Anything is possible if you never give up.” As someone who is preparing to graduate college in the spring, I needed to hear that reminder. No matter how big and out of reach my dreams may feel, anything is possible with enough determination.

The documentary will be available for purchase on Dec. 7, but you can pre-order it on their website now. If you splurge on the “Butterfly Package,” you’ll get the DVD and 3 gold LPs *a million heart-eye emojis.* You can also check out the super cute trailer here:

If you’re still not convinced that Coldplay is one of the most inspirational bands of our generation, then I’ll leave you with 10 songs (that never made it to the radio waves) to check out right now:

1. Shiver
  2. In My Place
  3. Warning Sign
  4. Til Kingdom Come
  5. Violet Hill
  6. Charlie Brown (my absolute favorite) 
  7. Hurts Like Heaven
  8. Always In My Head
  9. Birds
  10. All I Can Think About Is You

Happy listening, future Coldplayers!

Jenna Puglisi

Monmouth '19

Jenna founded Monmouth's chapter with her co-correspondent and BFF, Christi. Jenna is a senior at Monmouth, studying English with a minor in Public Relations. Her greatest love is writing, which she practices through journalism, poetry, and a personal blog at https://jennapug.com/. When she isn’t writing, you can find her wandering around bookstores, dancing at concerts, and drinking obscene amounts of coffee.