10 Reasons Why Everyone in College Should Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

Sometimes, even the most bold and fearless students need a little push to study abroad. Here are my Top 10 reasons why everyone, no matter how scared you might be, need to study abroad at least once during your college career. I promise, by the time you finish reading this article, every excuse you have to not study abroad will be out the window.

1. Gain Independence

It is not easy being independent when you have your family and friends to fall back on. However, when you have no choice but to be independent, you do it. Studying abroad will push your independence to the max.

You will have no one but your new friends to guide you through this experience, and that’s a good thing. After studying abroad, you will no longer need your mom to make you doctor appointments or have your best friend to come to lunch with you.

2. It’s Fun (Duh!)

Studying Abroad will be an experience to remember. Not only will you gain so much knowledge during this experience, but you will gain so many amazing memories with new friends as well. Your days will be filled with study, while your nights will be never-ending happiness and laughs.

3. You Learn So Much About Other People

You will you learn so much about yourself, as well as the people you are surrounded by. You will learn about how others are brought up, their story about why they chose to study abroad, their background, and their family. It will truly give you a different perspective on your life and the way you view other people, which is incredible.

4. You Learn So Much About Other Places

It is a blessing to be able to travel to other places while you are abroad. Europe is a great spot to study abroad because you can easily get to other places and explore a whole new world within hours.

While I was abroad I got to visit over 10 different cities and even another country–Croatia! If I never took this opportunity, I may have never had the opportunity to go to these places and for that, I am forever grateful.

5. Brush Up on Your Language Skills

If your study abroad program is in a country that speaks a different language, I highly suggest that you learn some of the basics before going abroad. This will make it easier for you to communicate with locals. That being said, the only real way for you to learn another language is to completely submerge yourself in those languages, so take advantage while you can.

6. Discover New and Exciting Foods 

As Miss Ungermeyer would say in The Lizzie McGuire Movie, “Do as the Romans do!” Do not be afraid to try new foods that the locals love.

While I was studying abroad in Florence, I tried rabbit for the first time. I was so hesitant about it because it is not typical for Americans to eat rabbit, but I figured I may not have the opportunity to try it again. With a racing heart I finally tried it and, to be honest, it was actually good. I now know that rabbit tastes just like chicken! Highly recommend.

7. You Learn So Much About Yourself 

As mentioned above, you learn so much about yourself that you didn’t know already. You learn what really gets under your skin when living with other people. You learn what you are capable of and not capable of while living on your own.

You learn silly things like how to cook, how to go to a foreign bank, how to use better communication skills, and how to interact with others who you may have nothing in common with. But more importantly, you learn how much more growth you have ahead of you as a human being.  

8. You Learn to Appreciate the Smaller Things More

You no longer have the comfort that you are used to. There are certain things you are going to miss that you never even thought about missing.

The biggest thing I missed during my time abroad was air conditioning and ice. I know, weird.

Going abroad I realized that you take the silliest things for granted and you do not even realize how amazing you have it at home. 

9. Ability to Explore

In between lectures, studying abroad should leave you with plenty of time to explore. There is always something to do, whether you’re one for visiting iconic landmarks, meeting new people, or bartering at local markets. Do not overlook the city that you are living in. There are so many things to see that are hidden so take your time and explore.

10. Meet Life-Long Friends

You will get to know your fellow peers on a deeper level than you have ever thought. You will experience many “firsts” with these new friends and you will have a relationship with these people that is different from any other relationship you will create. I am forever grateful for my experience abroad because it changed my life and brought 25 new life-long friends into my world. 

Take this opportunity to study abroad and travel the world before it is too late. Soon you might have a career, and eventually a family, that may hold you back from traveling. So, these are your prime years for adventure.

These are only 10 reasons why you should leap into this opportunity, but trust me, there are hundreds. Studying abroad is an experience unlike any other and the memories will last you a lifetime.

Victoria DeFilippo is a senior at Monmouth University where she is majoring in Public Relations and Journalism and minoring in Marketing. She is a New Yorker that loves shopping, really good food, and traveling the world!