A League of Their Own

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Molloy chapter.

On April 8th, 2015, the sport of hockey was changed for women all across the world as the official launch of the National Women’s Hockey League was announced. The league, which will feature four teams, begins October 17th and will conclude in March (NWHL.CO), signifying the first step to a tremendous opportunity for women hockey players everywhere.

Before the NWHL, women were confined to playing in international games, which meant very little opportunities for women to play professionally. Recently, the NHL opened its doors to women by allowing a few players, such as Hilary Knight, a member of the USA Women’s Hockey Team, who practiced with the Anaheim Ducks, to experience hockey outside of the International setting. However, now, a member of the Boston Pride, Knight has become a superstar in a League of Her Own. 

Knight is now considered the “face” of the NWHL, but a two-time silver medalist in the Olympics, and a former First-Team All-American, Knight is no stranger to the spotlight. She says that she takes on the title “with great honor,” and recognizes the possibility to “change” the perception of Women’s hockey forever, a possibility Knight wants to change into a reality.

And the NWHL not only seeks to grow itself, but looks to create “awareness around various causes and organizations,” such as, “breast cancer awareness, military appreciation, etc.” (NWHL.CO). The NWHL will hold “themed” games to support these causes, adding to the importance of the league’s beginning, a humble beginning, but an honorable one with its admirable support of these profound causes.

The NWHL is also getting plenty of support of its own. The league is developing a passionate fan base, experiencing more media attention than any member of the league ever expected. This is due, in part, to the tremendous splash many members of the league have made on social media, such as international stars Liudmila Belyakova and Nana Fujimoto, who are actively engaging with fans on the social media platform, creating a great image for the league. The NWHL is actively using Twitter and Snapchat to help the league gain traction, and so far, their efforts have been an enormous success.

This “grassroots effort,” as described by Dani Rylan, commissioner of the NWHL, is one that seeks to grow and be as successful as possible. While the league only has four teams at the moment, rapid expansion is expected, and with that expansion, more attention to the importance of women’s hockey.

Only time will tell if the efforts of the NWHL will propel Women’s hockey into the forefront of sports, but the future looks bright, and a new era in Women’s sports has only begun. The doors have been thrust open into a realm of possibilities that has seldom been opened before, and with it, a world of possibilities for women hockey players everywhere.

Joseph Ostapiuk is an English Adolescent Education Major in his third year at Molloy College. He works as the News Content Editor for MolloyLife Media, and is excited about representing Molloy through his work. He enjoys writing through both a creative and journalistic lens, and is enthralled by his new opportunity of writing for Her Campus.