Halloween Movies You Can’t Forget to Watch This October

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Molloy chapter.

We seem to get so caught up in the hype of Halloween that we forget what movies are perfect for this season. Halloween is all about scares, tricks, dressing up, and candy. These movies will totally get you pumped for Molloy’s Halloween Party on October 29th! Set up a movie night with your friends, break out the popcorn, and get ready for some Halloween fun! Here is our list of “Top 10” Halloween movies you must watch this October.

1. Hocus Pocus (1993)

Obviously, this movie is a must. If you don’t watch this movie, is it even Halloween? I don’t think you can properly celebrate Halloween without wathcing this movie!

2. Halloweentown (1998)

Another classic from our childhood. Revisit Marnie and remember why you love Halloween so much. All four Halloweentown movies are classics and an integral part of Halloween. Even the fourth movie is a must watch because it’s one of the main reasons I developed trust issues at such an early age. Did they really change the actress and think we wouldn’t notice!?

3. Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

This movie is perfect for end of October. Disney classics are the best. Send off Halloween, and get ready for Christmas season! Oh, wait… Thanksgiving is in between those two, right? Oh well, either way you have to watch this movie and since that song that everyone knows from the movie.

4. Young Frankenstein (1974)

Maybe you’ve seen this movie, or maybe you’ve heard a relative or two quote it. Either way, it’s hilarious, and you need to watch it. Black and white makes everything spooky and absolutely hilarious. And yes, that is the actor who played Willy Wonka. He is even funnier in this movie and you can’t live life without seeing this movie at least once!

5. Beetlejuice (1988)

Some of you may have been scared of this movie when you were little, but watch it now and you’ll be sure to laugh. It has that perfect hint of adult humor that you may have missed as a kid. You can even get some creepy costume inspirations! Just don’t say his name three times! Yes, this is another Tim Burton movie, just in case you were wondering.

6. Halloween (1978)

For our horror movie lovers out there, don’t forget to watch this classic. It’s the perfect movie to watch with your friends at a sleepover when you want a good scare. There are some less active parts where you can make some popcorn, grab water, and go to the bathroom so you don’t wet your pants later. Still a classic scare even to this day! Oh, and it must be watched every Halloween- it’s literally called Halloween. And the other movies (of the classics) must be watched too. Except for the third, Michael Myers isn’t in it so no.

7. The Addams Family (1991)

*snap, snap* Need I say more?

8. Ghostbusters (1984)

Who you gonna call? More like, what you gonna watch? This movie is perfect for year round watching, but if you want to get in a ghostly mood, you know what to do. Just remember . . . don’t cross the streams.

Got a group of four? Dress up as them this Halloween! Love the newer version more (like we do) watch them both!!

9. Corpse Bride (2005)

Some people seem to forget this movie, but it’s the perfect mixture of sweet and creepy. It captures the genre of morbid romance beautifully. Another Tim Burton movie, not a surprise. Still a great Halloween movie, maybe to watch with a bae? (or ice cream)

10. Scream

Yet another classic movie series. Perfect movie to watch if you want to “scream!” I always have the urge to watch my back and not accept phone calls from strangers after watching this classic!

This movie scares me, and I’m not afraid to admit it. A house that is alive… like, come on, that’s creepy. It’s really funny too! 

What Halloween movies do you watch every October? Let us know in the comments below!

Excited about Halloween? Make sure you come to Molloy’s Annual Halloween Party!

Liz Spencer is a Professional Communications major with minors in new media and journalism. When she's not staying at Molloy until one in the morning, she can be found reading, singing in the shower, dancing like no one is watching, or taking naps at home. She loves writing and is very happy to be a part of the newly created Molloy Her Campus chapter. She loves laughing, talking, and meeting new people. Liz is a huge advocate of societal equality and is always willing to lend a helping hand.
Travis is 19 in his fourth semester of college! He is considered a Junior at Molloy and majors in Accounting! When he discovered(?) Her Campus at his school he immediately joined and became a writer and the Instragram coordinator. Now he is proud to be a Campus Correspondent!