Campus Cutie: Jojo Minasi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Molloy chapter.

Name: Jojo Minasi

Year: Sophomore

Major: Communications

Relationship status: Single

Hometown: Rockville Centre

So you are the director of MPAC, is this the first show you’ve ever directed? If not how many have you done before?

“This actually isn’t my first show I have directed, I used to direct children’s theater shows and also was a camp director where we put up at least three shows in one summer! This is however my first time directing for a college and so far it has been an amazing experience!”

We heard you lost the rights to Beauty and the Beast, is it possible that you are going to try and perform it in the Spring?

“We are interested in trying for Beauty and the Beast again in the Spring however rights are tricky. We are not 100% sure we will definitely get the rights in time but if we do, we will put it to a club vote and see how they would like to move forward!”

What can we expect from the Christmas show happening soon?

“The Christmas show is going to be a truly amazing experience! Everyone has been working so hard especially with the time crunch we are in! Everyone is doing a beautiful job bringing life to these classic holiday tunes! I can’t wait for everyone to see it!”

Will you be featured in any of the songs?

“One sad thing about being the director and a lover of theater is that I no longer can be in the actual show! However due to the circumstances the club has allowed me to sing a few songs in this show! I am very grateful to them for letting me get a chance to perform again! You’ll have to see the show to see what I’m singing though! No spoilers!”

Other than director and choreographer, do you have any other positions in MPAC?

“As director, I am part of the Executive Board for MPAC. We have meetings every so often to discuss plans for the productions, fundraisers, etc. We also talk about budgets and all the things that happen behind the scenes!”

We’re sorry to hear that you injured your knee. How did it happen and do you think it will be healed by the time of the show?

“I have the amazing pleasure of being on the Molloy College Dance Team. Unfortunately, during practice last week I dislocated my knee while practicing for our Christmas Kick Line. Sadly, my injury is too severe to dance for the rest of the season however that will not stop me from supporting my team and bringing school spirit to Molloy! I will probably actually be on crutches for the Christmas Show but then again, Tiny Tim from A Christmas Carol had a crutch and that is a Christmas Favorite! Lol”

Who has been helping choreograph the show ever since you’ve had your injury?

“Two of my very good friends who I trust with my life have stepped up to help choreograph this show! Anja Jackowski and Sam Novak have shown true leadership and have put so much time and effort into making sure the choreography for this show is fire! I am so proud of them and lucky to call them my friends!”

Are you involved in any other clubs on campus?

“As I stated earlier, I am part of the Molloy College Dance Team, but I am also newly a member of ASL club and am on Molloy Student Government!”

When did you start dancing and being in shows?

“Oh boy, now I’m going to feel old. Would you believe me if I said I was hugely into sports before I started doing shows full time? I have been dancing and doing shows since I was in the fourth grade and haven’t stopped since! It has become such a huge part of my life and I think my personality has a lot to do with my background in theater and dance.”

Was there any particular reason you chose to start dancing and performing in shows?

“My mom actually forced my brother and I to audition for the shows at our summer camp and at our elementary school. Neither of us wanted to do it at the time. My brother never really got into it, even though he is really talented, but I on the other hand got “bit by the bug” and it became such an important aspect of my life. I really owe it all to my mom.”

Do you plan on doing anything with dance or performing arts in the future?

“I would love to do some professional theater again in the future but for right now I am just trying to focus on school and am happy to help people share my love for theater in MPAC!”

Who is one of your biggest inspirations?

“My biggest inspiration as a performer is probably Josh Groban. I think he has the best voice in the world and strive to be like him. My greatest inspiration in life is my Grandpa. He was a World War II Veteran who never stopped and never let life get him down no matter what. Unfortunately he passed away earlier this month. The memories I have of him help me get through all the tough times I encounter and I am so lucky to have been able to call him my Grandfather!”

Lastly we happen to know that you like Pokemon and we are dying to know who your favorite Pokemon is!

“Alright time for me to be basic. Although I am like one of the biggest Pokemon fans ever and SHOULD have a more intricate favorite, I have to say my number one is now and always has been Pikachu!”

Twitter: @jojominasi

Instagram: @jojominasi

Come check out MPAC’s Christmas show, “A New York Christmas” Friday December 4th at 8:00pm and Saturday December 5th at 2:00pm in The Hays Theater at Molloy College. Tickets are $5 for students with a valid Molloy ID and $10 for non Molloy students. All tickets are sold at the door.

Travis is 19 in his fourth semester of college! He is considered a Junior at Molloy and majors in Accounting! When he discovered(?) Her Campus at his school he immediately joined and became a writer and the Instragram coordinator. Now he is proud to be a Campus Correspondent!