Campus Cutie: Ben Norton, Mr. Molloy 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Molloy chapter.

Name: Ben Norton

Year: Senior

Major: Music

Hometown: Wallingford, VT

Relationship Status: Single

So, you won Mr. Molloy! Congratulations! Can you describe how it felt when you were crowned? “Most immediately, I was completely surprised. I mean, I didn’t even expect to make it to the top three candidates. Every guy on that stage deserved to win as much, if not way more, but I can say I was – and still am – absolutely honored. I love this place, it’s become such a crucial part of me over the last few years, I’m just so happy that anybody would even slightly think of me in association with Molloy.” 

What made you want to enter the Mr. Molloy competition? “MONEY. Nah, but seriously, I had entered it once during sophomore year, so I thought it would be a super fun way to make senior year a little more special, plus I thought it couldn’t hurt to try to help my club a bit, financially-speaking.”

What are you involved in on campus? “Mostly just MPAC (Molloy Performing Arts Club), but I try to soak in as much as Molloy has to offer whenever I can. There’s an amazing vibrancy to the people here, and you miss out on a lot of that if you limit yourself to only one or two things, you know?”

What do you do in your free time? “Some lion-taming here, a little best-selling novel writing there. Really though, I do love writing. I do a fair amount of songwriting, and outside of what is required for my major, I like to make a lot of music on my own time. It’s a great way to share yourself with the world, and I think it’s incredibly important for everyone to have some mode of creative expression. It’s good exercise for the soul. I grew up in Vermont, so I love hiking and just generally being in the woods. Really, anything involving friends and loved ones is a great way to spend time. Happiness is best when shared, right?”

Do you have any nicknames?“Not many. Well, I have some silly ones back home, but here it’s mostly whatever people want to call me. When I first came here, a lot of the upperclassmen in the music program just called me “Smiley” before they knew my name. If anyone has a good nickname, I totally welcome it! I think they’re the most endearing things.”

What is your favorite midnight snack? “Easy: a slice of spicy chicken pizza from ZA. Or two.”

What is your go to karaoke song? “4’33” by John Cage. Sorry, had to get a music joke in there. I really love anything you can scream your heart out to, anything punk or psychedelic rock. ‘Touch Me’ by the Doors is a great one.”

Who is your biggest inspiration? “Definitely my mom and dad. They are the hardest-working, most compassionate, and most loving folks I know. I would be the luckiest man if I ended up with even half of the integrity they’ve displayed, or even just a quarter of the kindness they’ve put out into the world.”

Do you have any hidden talents? “I can make a catamount noise, I love to rap, and I can play a mean Irish nose whistle.”

What is your biggest regret? “I’ve let comfort and laziness get in the way of making the most of life’s myriad opportunities on too many occasions. Every time I sleep through a meteor shower, or forego on a chance to do something special with friends or loved ones, I end up kicking myself for it later. Life is too short to not squeeze the most out of every moment. Well, there’s that buy also one time I got this really terrible greasy hamburger at a state fair once. I regret that every day.”

Name three things you’ve done that you’re most proud of. “Getting an education, working at my summer camp (which is my favorite place in the world), and making friends that continue to amaze and inspire me in ways I never thought possible.”

Liz Spencer is a Professional Communications major with minors in new media and journalism. When she's not staying at Molloy until one in the morning, she can be found reading, singing in the shower, dancing like no one is watching, or taking naps at home. She loves writing and is very happy to be a part of the newly created Molloy Her Campus chapter. She loves laughing, talking, and meeting new people. Liz is a huge advocate of societal equality and is always willing to lend a helping hand.