Campus Celebrity: The Molloy College Women’s Rugby Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Molloy chapter.

We got to ask Alexandra Levantis, captain of The Molloy College Women’s Rugby Team some questions! This year the team is going under the athletics wing here at Molloy. This is a big deal for the club and all of us at Her Campus Molloy want to give a big congrats to our fellow collegiettes! We’re so proud of you all on this major accomplishment! Keep up the awesome job ladies! Go Lions!

How did it feel when you girls found out that the team was going under the wing of athletics? “When we found out that we were going under the wing of athletics, there was a combination of nervousness and excitement because we didn’t know exactly what that entailed for us. Everyone knew that it was a step in the right direction that we always hoped rugby would go in. I didn’t expect it to happen when I was still around but it’s exciting to be a part of Molloy Woman’s Rugby history, of the transition from club to athletics.”

What does it mean exactly to go under the wing of athletics? “Going under the wing of athletics gives us more of a connection with our school and a whole new tone and sense of seriousness that was never taken with rugby before.”

Where can we find the schedule for all of your home games? “You can find the schedule for all of our home games on the Molloy website.”

Where do you play your home games? “Our home games have been played so far at Cedar Creek Park and Eisenhower Park, but we don’t have a set in stone home field so we pretty much take any field we can get.”

Do you girls hangout outside of practices and games? “Team bonding is big for us outside of games and practices. When we come together and play as a unit on the field that doesn’t just stem from practices that is bond established outside whether it be team game nights or team dinners “

Do you have a favorite team to play against? “Our favorite team to go against would have to be Stony Brook hands down. Not only because of how close of a competition it is, but the players that make up the Stony Brook team every year always play with such intensity and respect.After every match they invite us to hang out and eat with their team to celebrate win or lose a great game of rugby, and that’s what rugby is all about.”

If anybody want’s to become a part of the team what do they have to do? “If anybody is interested in joining rugby they could contact me through email (alevantis@lions.molloy.edu) or number on our website or asking any of our players. You can also come down and check out our practices and see if it’s for you! We practice Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:30 at Cedar Creek.”

When did the Women’s Rugby team get started at Molloy? “Woman’s Rugby got started in 2008 by Maggie Ziminski”

Do you have any pregame rituals to get you in the zone for games? “We either have a team dinner filled pasta party to carb up the night before or a film night where we watch past games to see what we mistakes we made and can fix for the upcoming game.”

Which do you like better, home games or away games? “Home games are better because  it’s nice when everyone’s friends and family can come down and support us. Hearing the comfort of not just your teammates cheering you on, but your friends and family always makes for a better played game.”

What is it like to be part of a huge family like this? “Being a part of a huge family like rugby is something I wouldn’t change for anything and I would repeat my college career just to be able to do it all again. I joined a team looking to be a player and I came out of it with a family and a bunch of sisters.”

Last but not least how pumped for this season are you girls? “We are beyond excited for our season because every year is a chance to grow as an individual player and as a whole team.”

Angela is a Media Communications major with a New Media minor at Molloy College. She is also a writer for Her Campus Molloy and photographer for Molloy Life Media. When she is not testing out her photography skills or writing an new piece, Angela can be found hanging out with her friends or watching Netflix. She is very excited to continue working with all her fellow Her Campus staff members through the next few years while finishing up her degree at Molloy College.