Campus Celebrity: Maria Pulella

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Molloy chapter.

How did you come up with the idea for Maria’s Toys for Tots?

I came up with the idea for Maria’s Toys for Tots when I was nine years old. One day during the holiday season, I was in Cohen’s Children’s Medical Center and I saw a young girl (who was around my age) who had just come out of surgery. Nurses and doctors were rolling her down the hallway where I was, and she had tubes and wires attached to her. Seeing that poor girl changed my life forever. When my grandfather saw that I had noticed the girl, he explained to me how blessed I am to be healthy and how blessed I am to be able to spend the holiday at home with my family. At that moment, I wanted to help those who were not as fortunate as I was. I wanted to make the children in that hospital happy during the holiday season. Collecting toys seemed like the best way to do that!

When did it start? How long have you been running the toy drive?

It started back in 2004 and I have been running it ever since! This year marks Maria’s Toys for Tots 12th year!

What can people donate? Is there anything that is seldom donated that you wish people would donate more of?

People can donate anything, as long as the toys are brand new! Due to the various illnesses of the children receiving the donations, we have to be careful about germs. The hospital asks for toys that children can play with in bed like puzzles, coloring books and board games since many of the children are bedridden. Otherwise, any kind of toy is acceptable! We usually get a variety of toys annually, but many people don’t remember that there are babies in the hospital too, so baby toys would be great!

What do you with the toys once they are donated? Where do they go?

Once I collect all the toys, I separate them and count them before we drop them off at the hospital. All donations are brought to Cohen’s Children’s Medical Center.

Do you have a favorite story from running Maria’s Toys for Tots?

My favorite story took place two years ago when I went to the hospital to deliver the toys. That day, the hospital was having a holiday show and several children were in the lobby of the hospital when I was dropping off the toys. I was able to meet numerous children who would be getting my donations in just a few short days. Many of the children ran up to me asking if the toys were for them, and if they could have a sneak peek. It filled my heart with so much joy to see them smile, and to actually meet some of the children! Nothing has ever made me feel that good in my life! I will never forget that day, it was life changing.

What challenges have you faced while doing this?

The main challenge I am faced with while running Maria’s Toys for Tots is advertisement. Although I have many supporters, it is still hard to spread the word during the holiday season when so many larger corporations are also collecting toys for similar causes. I know I am on a much smaller scale, but this toy drive has a more personal feel to it. There is a personal story behind why I do what I do, and I think that is what makes it so special.

Is it easy to run a toy drive while being a full-time college student?

It is very hard to run a toy drive. Although it may seem easy, it is far from it. There is a lot of time and planning that goes into Maria’s Toys for Tots, and it is especially hard while being a full-time college student. I have to coordinate all the planning around the hospital and when they want me to deliver the toys, but during that time period there are finals. Besides that, I have to coordinate meetings with my local high school, who I also run the toy drive through, and this revolves around my school schedule. It is very stressful, but when I drop off the toys at the hospital it is all worth it.

How do you stay motivated?

Through all the planning and stress of running the toy drive, I manage to stay motivated by thinking about the children who will receive the donations.  

Does anyone inspire you to continue your toy drive every year?

Besides the children, my personal goals and aspirations inspire me each year to keep this toy drive running. Every year I look forward to this toy drive, it is a major part of my life.

What goals do you see in the future for Maria’s Toys for Tots?

I have many goals for Maria’s Toys for Tots, but my main goal is expansion. Each year I get more sponsors, and I would love it if one day Maria’s Toys for Tots could get so big that we could distribute our donations to multiple children’s hospitals around New York.

Where can we find donation spots and when is the last day to donate?

Donation spots are located in Lawrence High School, Pantano’s of Plainview, and Cedarhurst Village Hall. Molloy students and staff can make private donations, and can contact me for more information! The last day donations are being accepted is December 18th.

Want to donate?

You can reach Maria at mpulella@lions.molloy.edu

Toni Martini is an Elementary Education major in her senior year at Molloy College. She is the Co-Editor-in-Chief in her college's media organization and has a passion for writing. When she isn't running around to events with her camera, she can be found drinking copious cups of coffee with her friends and is always carrying a smile in her obnoxiously tiny purse. Toni is feverishly passionate about representing Molloy College with Her Campus and is overly excited every time her staff has a meeting.  Her goals are to bring happiness to others with her writing and eat chocolate on every continent.