Campus Celebrity: Janine Payton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Molloy chapter.

Where did you attend college/university and what did you study?

“I attended Hofstra University for my bachelors in English and American Literature as well as for my masters in Educational Administration and Policy Studies.”

Where did you work/what did you do prior to coming to Molloy?

“I worked in Residence Life at Hofstra and then became an Assistant Dean of Admission there before coming to Molloy.”

For those who may not know, what is your role here at Molloy?

“I am the Director of Campus Life.  I work with all of the student clubs on campus and plan events for students.  I also plan new student orientation and work within Student Affairs on commencement and leadership workshops.  My role at Molloy is one that I truly enjoy.  I get to work closely with students, administrators, staff and faculty in coordinating programs for our current students.”

Congratulations on recently becoming Dr. Payton!  What was your research and dissertation about?

“Thank you!  I just defended my dissertation, earning my Ed.D. in Educational Administration, Leadership and Technology.  My area of research was on military veterans who attend college and how they perceive campus support services in relation to their preparedness to graduate from college.”

What do you hope to accomplish in your role going forward?

“I hope to continue to grow campus life at Molloy and encourage more students to become involved outside of the classroom.”

Because you started at Molloy four years ago, this year’s graduating class will be the first that has grown up with you all the way here.  What message or piece of advice do you have for the Class of 2015?

“The Class of 2015 is very close to my heart – I started with them and have seen so many of them transform over their four years at Molloy.  Thank you, Class of 2015, for a very memorable four years.  I have loved getting to know you and working with you and cannot wait to see what paths you take in the future.  My piece of advice for the graduating class is to remember to smile, be kind and have fun!”

Fun Facts:

• Birthday – March 15th
  • Hometown – Levittown, NY
  • Favorite movie/tv show – Scandal and The Big Bang Theory
  • Favorite book – The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
  • Favorite guilty pleasure – Shopping
  • Favorite snack – Candy – all kinds
  • Favorite part about working at Molloy – The students!
  • Plans for the summer – Going to Italy for a week with her husband
Saniya graduated from Molloy College with a BS in Accounting in May 2015 after serving as one of the founding Campus Correspondents of Her Campus Molloy. She enjoys traveling abroad and exploring new cities whenever an opportunity arises. Saniya currently works as an auditor in NYC.