10 Interesting Facts (That You Definitely Do Not Know)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Molloy chapter.

With finals week around the corner, I’m sure your mind is exploding with knowledge. In case you’re taking a study break, here are 10 random facts you probably did not know (but will sound much smarter once you do):  

1. Omphalophobia is the fear of bellybuttons. Those who suffer from this phobia are afraid to have their bellybuttons touched, or to touch another person’s belly button.

We may have this fear of these strange craters ourselves because we are too afraid to put any pictures of bellybuttons!

2. One Hershey’s Kiss weighs approximately 0.2 oz.

This makes us feel much better about eating multiple handfuls of these sweet treats.

3. A hummingbird egg weighs as much as a paper clip.

They’re also much cuter than a paperclip could ever be.

4. Mathematically, there are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.

What?! We can’t even decide if a cashier gave us back the right change!

5. Read and lead sound different than read and lead.

Our brains have been hurting just thinking about this.

6. The sentence “The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog” uses every letter in the English language.

Oh my gosh– our brains- make the pain stop!

7. Vatican City is the smallest country in the world with a population of 1,000 and a size of 108.7 Acres.

Finally, somewhere smaller than Molloy. 

8. “Stewardesses” is the longest word typed with only the left hand.  

You just tried to type it, didn’t you?

9. A palindrome is a word that is spelt the same backward and forward: like racecar.

This palindrome is a conundrum.

10. “Swims” upside down still looks like “swims.”

Did you turn your computer upside to check? Good, us too. 

Now that we’ve bestowed our knowledge unto you- get back to studying!

Hi there! My name is Angelica Lopez and I am a business management major with a professional communications minor. I am currently a freshman at Molloy College and am involved in a variety of activities. I am part of MolloyLife Media, Business ambassadors, Molloy Business Channel, and on the Molloy College Dance team. In high school I was also on Varsity cheerleading all of my cheering years. I peer tutor, volunteer with autistic kids and special needs adults. I speak english, spanish, and some sign language. Some of my hobbies include: dancing, acting, making silly voices, shooting, skating, gymnastics, and goofing off.
Toni Martini is an Elementary Education major in her senior year at Molloy College. She is the Co-Editor-in-Chief in her college's media organization and has a passion for writing. When she isn't running around to events with her camera, she can be found drinking copious cups of coffee with her friends and is always carrying a smile in her obnoxiously tiny purse. Toni is feverishly passionate about representing Molloy College with Her Campus and is overly excited every time her staff has a meeting.  Her goals are to bring happiness to others with her writing and eat chocolate on every continent.