This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Have you ever considered taking on a new language? And no, I’m not just talking about taking a language for two years in high school and then forgetting everything you learned. I mean seriously putting the time and effort into learning a new language that you will actually be able to use in your day-to-day life. Learning a new language is really an investment for your future and it just might be worth your efforts to do so because there are more benefits than many people even realize.

Here are the top eight reasons why everyone should learn a foreign language:

1. Better job prospects

Knowing how to speak a second language will set you apart from other applicants and make you that much more hireable. You just might find yourself being offered better pay or higher up positions in a company just for being able to speak a second language.

2. Enhanced confidence

Learning a new language forces you to put yourself out there and go outside of your comfort zone. You will need to get over your fear of making mistakes and not be afraid to try new things, so it’s no surprise that learning another language gives you a confidence boost.

3. Become more open-minded

Studies have shown that the shift in your brain as a result of learning a second language allows you to become more open-minded. This applies to being more accepting of other people and cultures as well as simply being more open to trying new things and branching out of your comfort zone.

4. Increase your intelligence

It may sound kind of cheesy, but learning a new language can literally make you smarter. There are many proven cognitive benefits such as enhanced concentration, problem-solving abilities and critical thinking skills, improved listening abilities and you are even less likely to get a memory loss disorder later on in life. Check out this study done by the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development to see some of the additional benefits they found relating to improved memory and ability to multitask as a result of learning a second language.

5. Improve your native language

You will become accustomed to identifying grammatical elements and correcting mistakes in the foreign language and as a result you will also become more aware of grammar in your native language.

6. Better Communication

Learning another language opens you up to so many new people and opportunities that you otherwise wouldn’t have come in contact with. Due to this large variety of experiences you will have, you will likely become better at communicating with others, which is definitely a skill we could all benefit from.

7. Become a better decision maker

After learning another language, you’ll become used to paying attention to minor details and having to think things through. This directly translates to your decision making skills and results in you spending more time thinking things over and therefore leading to better decisions.

8. Travel becomes more meaningful

Not only will you be able to see and experience places from a new perspective, but you will also be able to communicate with the natives. You never know, you might end up building a lasting friendship with someone or visit somewhere new all because of your language abilities.

I hope at the very least one of these benefits caught your attention. Let go of any fears or anxieties that are holding you back because there are countless advantages to learning another language. The world is open to possibilities, so find a language that interests you and get learning! Afterall, what have you got to lose?

My name is Ashley Braun and I am a junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato. I love traveling, cooking, being artsy, and spending time with my friends and family.
Hannah is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato and one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC MNSU chapter. She is currently double majoring in Marketing and Business Management with a Minor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation.