This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

The top Essie nail polish shades consists of classics and some newcomers who bring a little spruce to your nail art. The classic shades are ones you have grown up either using or seeing in magazines claiming that the shade is a must-have.  

Ballet Slippers – This shade is seen as the most classic and iconic shade that Essie has ever come out with. The British Royals consider Ballet Slippers to be their go to, so much so that that Essie brought the shade back for the Queen herself. This is a shade that many Royals choose to layer with others to keep it neutral but add a pop of fun in a very minimalist way.  

Forever Yummy – A true red that screams power and dominance. This shade just might be perfect for the “If I Were to Marry into the Mafia” Tik Tocs that we have all seen going around by now. And on another note, this shade would be fitting for that Italy vacation we all need about right now.  

Sugar Daddy – This shade of sheer pink is the best way to achieve that “my nails but better” look. Sugar Daddy is great alone to project a well-groomed look or to be used as a base for a French manicure. Between this shade of pink and a newer shade from the Gel Couture line called Sheer Fantasy, they both are essentials in my book.  

Perfect Posture – This shade is a periwinkle that illuminates the elegance of a garden; fun but still modest. Periwinkle nail polishes have always been one of my favorites when I have desired a change but not one that roams too far from sophistication.  

Boddice Goddess – The Gel Couture Sheer line is currently made up of five shades and Boddice Goddess is the one shade that stands out the most to me. It is a sheer gel that adds shine and a tint of color to the nail. And in this shades case, that pop of color is consistent with a lilac purple base and orchid overtones as Essie states. I find this shade to be my favorite color in rotation right now as it is fun but still allows me to feel like I have elegant and well-maintained nails.  

Cacti On The Prize – This is a limited-edition Spring 2021 shade that is in a line consisting of five shades. I would call this shade an aesthetic appeal as it gives off the sage green vibes in a wearable tone. This color is the most fun I would have with a green as I find greens, oranges, and yellows often too overwhelming.  

Busy Beeline – This is the only shade of yellow that I would go near. It is a soft buttery yellow that screams spring and summer time. This shade is beautiful and would pair well with Cacti on the Prize if you were doing nail art with colorful tips or geometric designs. 

Hello, I am a Mass Media and Communication Studies major at MNSU. While I enjoy writing and being a part of organizations that keep me connected.