This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

I vividly remember being in my eighth-grade science class, staring out the window panicking over my reality. I was overwhelmed with the daunting idea that I have four years of high school still to do, then I have to jump right into college and from there I will go to a full-time job, work the rest of my life and then die. Now although I was a dramatic thirteen-year-old, those feelings felt real. And somehow through slow-moving days and fast-paced years, I am weeks away from graduating college. Looking back on my eight years of school, with high school and college, there are a few things I wish I could change.

First, not all paths are yours to follow. For as long as I can remember my parents told me I would go to college. There was no choice in the matter and to be honest I didn’t know of any other paths because that’s all I knew. And although I am grateful for my parents for allowing me to have a college career and for the knowledge I’ve gained through this experience, if I could go back I’m not sure this was the best choice for me. I came into college undecided and had no idea what I wanted to study and I wish I would have taken the time to work or travel to find out what I want to do with my life. 

Second, everything will work out how it’s supposed to. I was always an anxious person and never liked to step out of my comfort zone, but that’s where real living begins! I wish I would have joined more clubs, talked to more people, and gone to different events. I missed out on some great experiences due to fear. 

Finally, mistakes aren’t the end of the world. Every action you take has a consequence and you have to be willing to live with them, good or bad. But life is about learning and the best way to learn is by trying and failing. As long as you grow from it, you can’t really call it a mistake. 

Overall, I’m sure everyone would like to change a couple of things from their past but why?  All the things that have happened have made you who you are today. You grow, change, and live and that’s what we’re meant to do. I’m thankful for this journey I’m on and who I have in my corner. 

Paige