Spotlight: David Gardner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

David Gardner is the current Assistant Director of the LGBT center at MNSU Mankato. In his freetime, David enjoys journaling, visiting wineries, attending local farmers’ markets, and hanging out at the Coffee Hag for live events. Although he has only held his position for two years, he has made a great impact on students discovering their true identity and sexuality. David grew up in a small town in central Wisconsin. He attended the University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire with an undergraduate degree in English Literature and a Master’s degree in English. While he was in college, he struggled with his sexuality and sexual orientation. In the beginning of his college career, he planned to be a high school literature teacher. However, as he continued his education, he began to worry about the negative effects and comments students may mention if they were to find out he was homosexual. So in 2004, he switched his major. In the early 2000s, David mentioned that LGBT issues were not as popular as they are today.

After college, he moved to Chicago for one year with his sister. As he was looking for a full-time career, he found a paid position as an LGBT program coordinator at a Midwest university. He found that this job suited his personality and interest in helping students going through their journeys of sexuality. He moved from Chicago to UW – Lacrosse, then to UW – Milwaukee, then to Washington State University, and then finally, he ended up at MNSU Mankato. David got his start as a member of the department of Institutional diversity. Then in 2016, the assistant director of the LGBT Center left their position, and David applied. He was hesitant as to whether he should take on a new career after being a part of the department of institutional diversity for quite some time. While he was considering this change of career, the Pulse shooting in Florida occurred. David took it as a sign that this job was what he was meant to do. So the next day, he accepted the position and has been at there ever since. David explained that he didn’t have the best coming out story to his parents, and even though it felt like a burden at the time to deal with, he feels that his experience helped shape him as the person he is today. He also reiterates that his coming out story helps him give advice to questioning students with conservative parents on what to and what not to say. Throughout his journey, he took away one main point: it’s okay to be gay.

At the LGBT center at Minnesota State University, Mankato, David implements “a safe space where students can be whoever they want to be. Whether they are queer or an ally of the community, all are welcome.” The LGBT center at MNSU Mankato celebrated its 40 year anniversary last year, making it one of the oldest university LGBT centers in the country. Some things the center participates in are mentoring and advising incoming students, helping students with their coming out process, connecting LGBT students with ally roommates, and peer panels for questioning students or student’s general to learn more about the queer community.

One of the biggest events that happens on the MNSU Mankato campus during the school year is the annual drag show. This year, the event will take place on November 14th. MNSU has also hosted many advocates and queer speakers to give advice and connect with the campus. During the spring semester, the center hosts “Tea Talks”, which are conversation groups designed to provide an outlet of expression through conversation.

As for advice, David suggests, “Don’t carry the weight of the world on your back. If you are struggling, speak up and talk to someone who has gone through the same process. There is always someone that has made it to the other side of the tunnel. You can too.” David emphasizes that, although it’s cliche, he “loves to come to work everyday.” He loves that his job has an impact on the MNSU Mankato community and hopes to continue his work in advocating for the LGBT community for years to come.

minnesota state university, mankato '22 🐃 i manage social media accounts 🔮 known for being loud, short and social 🦋 whisker media 😽 #blacklivesmatter❣
Hannah is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato and one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC MNSU chapter. She is currently double majoring in Marketing and Business Management with a Minor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation.