Shows to Binge Watch When You Should Be Studying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

We all know that studying for finals is stressful and time consuming. We also know that sometimes we just need a break to chill out and take our mind off of whatever dreadful subject we are studying. If you like taking far too long of breaks from studying and are looking for your next show to binge, here are a few that I have enjoyed!

1.    Big Mouth

This show took me a couple of tries to get into because it really is bizarre, but once you’ve made it through the first couple episodes, you’re hooked. The premise is odd, an adult-style cartoon about kids going through puberty. It is raunchy and dirty and honestly hilarious. It is so easy to binge watch because the episodes are short and they just keep rolling. Not to mention Harry Styles watches it (according to his interview with Timothee Chalamet) and if that’s not reason enough, then I don’t know what is.

2.    The Haunting of Hill House

This show is a refreshing take on horror. We don’t often get tv shows that are in the horror genre, and are done well. It is about a family that moved into the Hill house for a summer so the parents could renovate it and resell it for a profit, but the house is haunted and essentially drove the family crazy. If you are looking for a longer show to put off studying even longer, this is the show for you! Not to mention, the one and only Stephen King praised the show and he is a master of horror.

3.    How I Met Your Mother

This show is a classic, and in my opinion, better than Friends. Unfortunately, this show was taken off of Netflix, but not to worry, it’s on Hulu. While the show has a lot of seasons and I wouldn’t recommend watching them all instead of studying, it is a show that you can take time from and still understand what is happening when you come back to it. It is clever and well done, you will fall in love with the characters. I can’t even count the number of times it made me cry because you get so invested in the storyline.

4.    The Office

If you haven’t watched this show then I don’t think you are even human. Again, I would say this show is definitely hard to get into at first and if the first season wasn’t important to the introduction, I would totally say skip it all. This is another show that will take you on an emotional rollercoaster but will be worth it in the end. It does have a lot of seasons but they go by in a breeze.

5.    Riverdale

This is another show that if you are a teenager/20-something year old and you haven’t watched it, you are an alien. This show is based off the Archie comics that your parents probably read when they were younger. It is a bit cheesy but will still have you hooked, not to mention KJ Apa is a babe and Cole Sprouse playing the dark and broody character is something we all needed.

I have watched all of these shows (some numerous times) and can say they help relieve the stress of finals week. Other shows that I haven’t watched but have heard are binge-worthy are Gossip Girl, Ozark, The 100, That 70’s Show, and Grey’s Anatomy. Some of these shows are easy-breezy to watch while others do require a bit more thought. Nonetheless, they are all binge-worthy and a great way to avoid studying for those pesky finals (just make sure you don’t avoid it entirely)!

Olivia is a senior at Minnesota State University, Mankato. She is double-majoring in Mass Media and English and has hopes to get into publishing. She is the current senior editor for the MNSU chapter of Her Campus and loves to write. In her free time when she's not writing or editing, she loves to sleep, hang out with friends, longboard, read and sleep some more.
Hannah is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato and one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC MNSU chapter. She is currently double majoring in Marketing and Business Management with a Minor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation.