Shop the Cause: TOMS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

In 2006, TOMS Founder Blake Mycoskie witnessed hardships children faced growing up without shoes in Argentina. He wanted to help these children so he created TOMS Shoes, a company that matches every pair of shoes purchased with a new pair for a child in need. One for One. This business has become a powerful model that helps address needs and advancement and health, education and economic opportunity for families with children all-around the world.

TOMS gives shoes in over 70 countries throughout the world. They have given more than 50 million pairs of shoes to children in need. Since 2006, the help of people purchasing shoes and now other accessories, allows TOMS to give different types of shoes based on terrain and season and has helped produce jobs by producing shoes in the countries they give to.

TOMS has evolved into more than just a shoe company. In 2011, TOMS Eyewear was launched to help restore sight to over 360,000 people in need. They give sight in 13 countries by providing prescription glasses, medical treatment and/or sight-saving surgery with each purchase of eyewear. The purchase not only restores sight, it supports sustainable community-based eye care programs, creates professional jobs and helps provide basis eye care training.

In 2014, TOMS Roasting Co. was launched and since then has helped provide more than 250,000 weeks of safe water in 6 different countries. When you purchase their coffee, TOMS works with their Giving Partners to provide a week’s supply of safe water to someone in need. The creation of sustainable water systems allows TOMS to help provide whole communities with access to safe water which leads to improved health, increased economic activity, job creation and access to education.

TOMS launched the TOMS Bag Collection in 2015 in 4 countries with Giving Partners help to address the need for advancement in maternal health. When you purchase a TOMS Bag, you help their Giving Partners provide training for skilled birth attendants and distribute birth kits that contain items that help a woman safely deliver her baby. Every purchase is One for One.

”Our movement is made up of many parts, including One Day Without Shoes and World Sight Day, our annual days to raise awareness for the global issues of poverty and avoidable blindness and visual impairment.”

If you want to be a part of the One for One program, make sure to check out the TOMS website, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for the latest products and ways to help!

Wannabe World Traveler.Adventure Seeker.Minnesota Living.Lover of Sports.Avid Coffee Drinker.