This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Born and raised on the east side of St. Paul, Shannon Weiss is a woman of many passions and talents. Her interest in women empowerment and equality was the reason she chose to pursue a major in Political Science, minor in Women and Gender Studies and earn a certificate in Nonprofit Leadership. Aside from attending Minnesota State University, Mankato, Shannon also volunteers her time as one of the Lead Presidents for Colleges Against Cancer, which hosts the Relay for Life Event in April. Shannon Weiss is passionate about Relay for Life because it helps those who are fighting, survived, and have been taken by cancer, give thanks to those who support patients. She also participates in the Gender and Women’s Studies Club, but that’s not all. Shannon loves to give her time around the community here in Mankato, as well as the Twin Cities.

“I like to volunteer as much as possible! Each time I am inspired and so happy to be making even a small difference.”

Shannon also has few few women leaders that she looks up too. One serves on the Supreme Court Justice, by the name of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who has paved the way for so many women around the country, particularly her mother Jane.

“My mom is my true inspiration. She raised two daughters on her own and she is the strongest person I have ever met. I hope to be half the person she is one day.”

Shannon is a firm believer that the best thing you can do in life is help those that are less fortunate than you.

“Never forget how good you have it, and then use the privilege that you are given to improve someone else’s life.”

After college, Shannon is hoping to attend grad school in the Twin Cities. After grad school, she would like a job working in the nonprofit sector, ideally in a place that works with the homeless and hungry. Shannon is a senior now, graduating from MNSU in the spring of 2016. She was first drawn to the campus by the size, but what has made her experience here the most memorable is the people she has met. She is serious about her studies, but believes there is more to experience than just the books. Shannon says that before you know it the friend you make will be more than a couple blocks away. Make the most of your time here and treasure your friendships.

Shannon is a leader and an inspiration to many girls that she meets in her life. Many would say that she is one of the most passionate and inspirational people they have ever met. A close friend of her said “she doesn’t judge. She tries to understand people. She is humorous and makes light of situations when things become tough. She’s informative and is strong in her beliefs but talks about things not just to inform, but to understand. She gives back and expects nothing in return. I look up to her. She is my sole inspiration.” There is no doubt that shannon will go far in life and make an impact on the world, as well as the people she serves in her life. She is truly an inspiring collegiete!

My name is Chelsea Wangen and I am a senior at Minnesota State University-Mankato. I grew up in White Bear Lake, MN where I hope to settle back one day. I love to travel and see the world. There is so much culture to be a part of. I have always had a passion for writing. Although English lit. Isn't my major it is one of my most passionate things I care about to do on my free time. My major is psychology and sociology. My focus is to study social issues and understand adolescent behavior. I beleive that there is no universal reason why people are the way they are and that is why I enjoy working with people to learn their stores and understand them.