Sabrina Trickel: Full-time Student, Single Parent, and Social Justice Warrior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Name: Sabrina Trickel

Hometown: Anaheim, CA

transplant to Portland, OR

and finally transplanted at age 12 to Saint James, MN

Major/Minor: Community Health Education/Nonprofit Leadership

Expected Graduation: whenever life allows it to happen!

Her Campus: What brought you to Minnesota State University?

Sabrina Trickel: Saint James is only 45 minutes from Mankato, after completing boot camp and training, I wanted to stay close to my family who still reside in Saint James. As independent as I am, I still love to be close to my family.

HC: How has your experience in the military influenced your life?

ST: It taught me a lot about discipline and honestly, patriarchy at its finest. I’m not saying the experience was a bad one, but it was strictly a male dominated field. It was obvious that women were not held to high regards. I miss certain aspects, and come from a military family where my brother and dad currently serve, so I still have a lot of respect for the sacrifices it takes, but it really confirmed the feminist free spirit I truly am.

HC: What is your position at CADA?

ST: I am a prevention specialist working on the Safe Bar Initiative. I was offered the position and began October 2nd of 2015. I was actually in the running for another position and the Executive Director called and asked me to consider this one. I read the first few paragraphs of the grant, and said absolutely!

HC: Why do you think the Safe Bar Initiative is important?

ST: I believe that in areas where the majority of people grew up conservatively, and are “Minnesota Nice”, people seem to look the other way when an uncomfortable situation or topic arises. The Safe Bar Initiative is an opportunity to shift from an unsafe culture of silence and victim blaming, to a safe culture where we hold ourselves accountable to say “I’m not okay with this, and this is why.”

HC: What made you want to get involved in activism?

ST: I have survived two sexual assaults, one resulting in the birth of my daughter. I never believed I had any power in what I’ve been through until I took a GWS intro class. I found my voice in a class of about fifty and used my real life experiences as “ah-ha” moments. I sat in front, so I felt like I was talking directly to my professor, who was the first queer Latina I had as an authority figure. She encouraged me to continue to share my stories and pursue activism, and I haven’t looked back since.

HC: Does talking about what you’ve been through help you heal?

ST: It is still a struggle to talk about the things I’ve experienced. The slut shaming and victim blaming are the hardest. But, I also feel that these issues will not be resolved by continuing to stay silent about them. Once I started talking about those experiences, so many women (and some men) have opened up to me privately and said, “oh my gosh, that has happened to me”, or “I know someone who went through that, I didn’t think about it in that way before”. I think we’re all guilty of those problems because they’re a societal problem. It is about becoming aware of the language we use that is really hurtful that will help stop it. I feel that it helps others heal, just as much as it helps me.

HC: How do you balance work, school and your personal life?

ST: I get this question a lot. I work two jobs for amazing non profits, I am a full time student, and a single mother of an amazing almost 5 year old, Aliyah. I don’t know life any other way. I try to have an “off mode”, but you can ask my friends… I’ll randomly start bouncing work ideas off them when my brain is supposed to be in “off mode”. I have an amazing support system that also are a huge reason why I’m successful thus far.

HC: What does your support system look like?

ST: My parents, brother and sister have been there for me since the start and I can never thank them enough for their sacrifices. I also have an incredibly supportive work environment and a fantastic circle of friends. Also, all of my professors at MSU, who understand the struggles of single parenting are willing to let Aliyah sit in on class or “get it” when I have to miss class. Needless to say, Aliyah and I are set when it comes to people cheering us on and being there for us!

HC: What are your plans for a future career?

ST: I would love to continue working on the Safe Bar Initiative until I am done graduating. At this point, I’m not sure when that will be, and I’m okay with that. I would like to move to the Pacific North West and continue activism (and bystander intervention!) in that area. There are so many things I’d like to pursue, but my 25 year goal is to open a non profit that focuses on resources for children who were the result of sexual violence, as well as provide resources for the people in their lives.

HC: What is the importance of student involvement for the Safe Bar Initiative?

ST: We have recently developed a bystander certification program under the umbrella of the Safe Bar Initiative. It is a five hour commitment, but you learn about several topics that surround issues of unhealthy relationships and assault. Topics that are covered range from breaking down harmful gender stereotypes, what rape culture looks like, the dangers of victim blaming, consent education. As soon as we have a clear understanding of how those issues create the unsafe culture we live in, we can make the shift into learning about how to recognize sexual aggression, learn how to use the correct bystander skills, and discuss reporting/response. The training is FREE to any student or community group interested, and it is in the works to being mandatory for certain student RSO’s. We need, more than ever, for students to learn about these issues. Men, women, and non-binary are all needed to make this culture shift happen. The bars will not change unless people start speaking their minds about these pervasive issues. You can email me at: sabrinat@cadamn.org to get signed up!

Choosing to feature Sabrina as a student spotlight was an easy decison and I was grateful to have an opportunity to give recognition for all the work and dedication she has shown us through Her Campus MNSU’s partnership with the Commitee Against Domestic Abuse’s Safe Bar Initiative. How amazing it is that she balances her activism, education, career, and raising her adorable daughter all at the same time?! Sabrina has shown the women of Her Campus MNSU that if you are passionate enough and care to make a change, it is possible regardless of circumstances. Participating in the Bystander Intervention Certification has given our chapter an amazing opportunity to become more involved and educated on issues in our society. She is an inspiration to us all and we have so much that we can learn from her. Thank you Sabrina for all that you do to make our community safer. We can’t thank you enough!

Elise Pawlak is a double major in Creative Writing and Mass Media with double minor in Gender Women’s Studies and Nonprofit Leadership at Minnesota State University, Mankato. She is constantly running around campus with being the President of Society of Professional Journalists, Treasurer of Public Relations Student Society of America, Treasurer of Gender Women’s Studies club, the Communications chair for the Women of Action Committee, and the Public Relations intern for the MNSU Women’s Center. When she does have a free moment it is spent rewatching Buffy the Vampire Slayer episodes and connecting with her spirit animal: The Bloody Mary. After she graduates in May of 2016 she plans to pursue a career in the world of writing… hopefully landing a job that will help her pay off her student loans before she starts collecting social security.