This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Mankato is one lucky town because Kim Stanton, owner of Encore and Riverfront Bridal, has been going green in so many wonderful ways for the past six years. What I mean by that is that Kim not only consigns clothes (at great and affordable prices!), but also recycles and reuses hangers, bags, envelopes, paper, you name it to keep her business up and going!

If you have ever been in the store you would have noticed that on one side it is filled with beautiful consigned clothing and on the other, it is filled with formals and wedding gowns. While all of the clothes are consigned, the formals and the wedding gowns are mostly brand new. When Kim consigns these she wants them in pristine condition so that she knows they will sell. However, the store also holds collections from Allure Bridals that can be ordered in many different sizes and colors to fit any kind of bride! The place really has it all.

Kim started shopping at Encore when she was taking Drug and Education classes for her degree. One day she noticed a “help wanted” sign in the dressing room and immediately applied for the job. She continued to work there for four years before she eventually took it over. When I had asked her why she decided to take on this new business opportunity she said that she saw it as a sign from spirit. “When we are offered opportunities in our lives and we don’t take them, they are given to someone else. I saw this as my opportunity, so I took it.” And the rest is history.

Her favorite part about working at the shop are the consignors. Everything that she has seen come in is always a surprise, “it’s like Christmas morning every day!” She mentioned that even as an employee, consignors would bring clothes/dresses in that would be from different cities, states, countries and even continents. “In a way, working here has widened my world.”

Kim continues to recycle as each year goes by. When I asked her why being green is so important to her, she answered, “It makes me feel AMAZING as a world citizen. We have to take care of Mama Earth and nurture her anyway we can.”

Encore/Riverfront Bridal is still located on 311 N. Riverfront Drive as it has always been. I recommend those living in Mankato to support their small businesses and for those not from Mankato to please stop in. Kim’s generosity will always brighten a person’s day. Believe me, I have gotten the pleasure of working as her staff for the past year!

Hannah is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato and one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC MNSU chapter. She is currently double majoring in Marketing and Business Management with a Minor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation.