Realities of Using Dating Sites and Apps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

1. The chance you could meet your soulmate.

We’re all on there for some type of love or like, aren’t we? All of us are craving attention and flirting from someone, anyone! Sure we have all heard from our grandparents or elders, “you will find someone some day” or “he/she is out there, just keep looking”. The truth is, you never know what might happen when you turn your phone on and look at who your latest match is. There is always a probability that the two of you could hit off.

2. What more do you say after “how’s it going?”

Majority of the conversations start out with a “Hey, what’s going on”. What comes after that first step is the hard part. How much work do you really want to put in? In the beginning, we have no idea how invested the other person is in this connection. I encourage you to ask them a question, actually read their bio and work for that conversation.

3. You might be recognized in real life.

Chances are someone is going to recognize you at some point of your online dating lifetime. If you’re spotted in a messy bun and sweatpants don’t be ashamed. We all try to look better on our profiles.

4. Some people just want to swipe left or right, no string attached.

Downloading and swiping is all it is for most people. An app to pass the time without having any real commitment to that individual. Whether they thought they were hot or not. Don’t be surprised if you don’t receive a message at all, i’ts simply a game to some.

5. Don’t be completely shocked if their snaps don’t look exactly like their pictures.

When things become more serious than just a hello, the person on the other end of the conversation might ask for your Snapchat name or want to follow you on Instagram. If you choose to give them your username you will be welcoming them into your other social media worlds. It’s likely that the snaps they send you will not be as attractive as their best profile pictures on the dating sites. You very likely will be seeing them right after a workout or after getting out of the shower. If you still find them attractive, wonderful. There’s a chance you two could become more. However, if they don’t look as attractive don’t feel bad about removing/unfollowing them on your social sites.

6. The probability of a real date is slim to nothing.

Majority of college students on these sites are looking for no string attached types of relationship/friendships. The chances of being invited over for Netflix and chill type of night are very likely. The probability of them picking you up and taking you out to dinner are nearly impossible. But hey you can always make the move too, treat them to coffee or lunch for a good casual date!

Experiences that come from using dating sites vary from person to person. However these are some truths that I, personally, have come to find and want to warn the rest of you about. Every person one these sites are different and are looking for different relationships.