This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

So, I’m perpetually single, which is kind of cool, but mostly not cool at all. I’m as much of an independent woman as any, but every once in a while, that slight pang of loneliness creeps up on even the best of us. This feeling becomes exponentially worse this time of year as the seasons change from summer to fall, and cuffing season swings into full effect. As a result, I have compiled a list of five reasons why being the single friend is the best (mostly because I really need to hear it right now, okay? Okay.)

1.       Third wheeling (or fifth wheeling, or seventh wheeling…) is actually great.

I know, hot start, but hear me out. While some may dread third wheeling, I have genuinely learned to love it. Being a third wheel is an elite position reserved for the strong few. You should feel pretty special that your couple friends choose you to tag along on their adventures. At the end of the day, third wheeling is just more time that you get to spend with people that you care about, doing the things that you love. Significant other or not, there’s no reason you shouldn’t have just as good of a time!

2.       Your besties double like *snaps* that.

Five of your friends just entered into new relationships? Guess what- you just got five new besties. Sure, there are going to be significant others that you just don’t vibe with, but I’ve been fortunate enough to get along great with almost every single person that has come into my friends’ lives. As easy as it is to complain about a friend spending so much time with a new beau, I can’t deny that I could not imagine my life without certain S/O’s in it.

3.       Friend+S/O = You+TheirSingleFriends

You just can’t knock the fun that can be had flirting with a friend’s partner’s single friends. Whether its between classes, over lunch, at trivia or in a bar, there are bound to be other third wheels for you to socialize with. 

4.       Sweet, sweet freedom.

Would I be interested in a girls day this weekend? Checking out a new brewery? Going to a baseball game? Absolutely I would. No plus one extracurriculars to worry about means my time is my own, and that’s just the way I like it. 

5.       Growing in your independence

On a serious note, there are going to be plenty of times in your life when you feel truly and unequivocally alone. My time spent single- whether it be flirting with cuties at the bar or navigating third wheel debacles- has been full of ups and downs. The nights I’ve spent alone have taught me more about myself than any other person could. Knowing that is usually enough for me to push through this cuffing season and continue to thrive in my independence. 

The Girl With the Hot Pink Bow is an alias made for Her Campus MNSU writers that may want to stay anonymous on an article they write for various reasons.
I am senior at MNSU and am studying to get a degree in Marketing with a minor in Mass Media. I love cooking, being around friends and family, going on little adventures, and just having fun.