This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Netflix is no stranger to original movies, shows, and more. Every year, like any network, a slew of original tv shows are put into circulation. Since the premier of shows like Stranger Things and Orange is the New Black, Netflix has had to step up their game with originals. This year, Netflix has stepped more into thrillers and dramas. Here are a few that may pique your interest if you’re in the market for something new to watch.

1.    Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

If you know Sabrina the Teenage Witch from the late 1990s, you may have an idea of what this show is about. This version, however, focuses more on the backstory on just how Sabrina came to be. More dark and supernatural than the first, it takes you on a full journey on how this young witch got her start. The full first season is online and the show has already been renewed for a second. There is no need to have an understanding of the OG series as this one starts from the beginning. If anything, this would be a top pick for Netflix originals from this year.

2.    Sisters

Supernatural shows may not be your thing, but if drama is, Sisters may be the show for you. This show was originally aired by an Australian TV company but was picked up as a Netflix original. We are introduced to Julia Bechly who cares for her elderly father who makes a confession leading to Julia finding out she may have hundreds of siblings. Julia navigates her dying father, a lawsuit, and finding out who she may or may not be related to. If you need a good laugh or an easy binge-watch, this may be the show for you.

3.    Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj

Lastly, the top original show of the year is variety and talk show. This one airs quite differently as the rest, as only one episode is added every Sunday, but it is definitely well worth the wait. Right now, two episodes are up, but Hasan Minhaj covers topics that most talk show hosts wouldn’t. He covers the political landscape of the United States with added comedy and ranges in topics from foreign relations to political policy. If you’re looking for a way to gain knowledge on what’s happening in the United States or need a better way to get news, this may be the show for you.

Currently, a fifth year student at MNSU, Mankato majoring in History with a minor in Psychology. Self proclaimed Netflix and coffee addict with a passion for writing. 
Hannah is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato and one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC MNSU chapter. She is currently double majoring in Marketing and Business Management with a Minor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation.